Thread: new puppy troubles again!

Post Thanks / Like

Default new puppy troubles again!

I don't know what it is about this pup but she constantly has me on my toes. She has now began eating again, but now her stools are mucusy looking. When I took her to the vet she had a cold which is being treated and she is coughing up alot of phlem and then swallowing it back down, would this cause the mucus? Should I be taking her to the vet again? I think if the mucus still shows tomorrow I will take her in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No, dogs can regularly have mucusy poohs when they have been stressed. I am curious if the breeder homed a sick pup to you though -- that is a bit worrying. Are you sure it is actually a cold? Dogs don't really tend to get colds but they do get kennel cough which can turn to pneumonia very easily in a puppy. I would expect the breeder to be covering these vet costs if you only just got this puppy and it was sick right away. You do have a lemon law in New York that makes a breeder liable for homing a sick puppy even if their vet cleared it before homing (a lot of vets are just in cahoots with brokers/breeders and clear ALL their puppies. The vet can be sued as well). If your own vet hasn't seen the puppy in a while and it is still coughing I would bring it back in for that alone.

I wouldn't really be worried about poop consistency unless she actually has the runs and that goes on for longer than 48 hours.

If you need a good puppy reference book I recommend anything by Dr Ian Dunbar.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If her stools are firm, shaped and have some mucus I wouldn't worry. But if they are soft and not shaped or runny with mucus I would take her to the vet right away- with a stool sample.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! This is the puppy I recieved from a not great breeder/puppymill. She did arrive sick. I am just not going to fight with this lady over a vet bill. I am just glad I have found out what type of breeder she is! The vet said her cold was borderline pnemonia, but gave her a needle to help battle this. She is doing much better. The vet told me that she could have had kennel cough or just caught a chill on the flight here! We have also dewormed her so hopefully she gets better soon! She has pretty much stopped coughing, but if she plays really hard she starts to wheeze. I have to take her back to the vet next Thursday to be checked again, and recieve another needle if everything hasn't totally cleared up. Thanks again for the info! I'm beginning to feel like an over anxious parent! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

awww bless, hope puppy comes through this ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I would let everyone know that Rosa is doing much better! Her pnemonia has pretty much cleared up and her stools have gotten back to what they should be, unless she convinces my husband that I am starving her and he gives in and gives her leftover supper, especially cream soups. But all in all she is doing great and gaining weight like crazy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that's good to hear! So glad she's doing well now.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Well done and I hope now you can start to enjoy your baby, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am glad to hear that she is doing well now. Let's hope that is the end to her ill health.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

So great that at last she is doing well.