• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

new puppy troubles again!

smoky

I don't know what it is about this pup but she constantly has me on my toes. She has now began eating again, but now her stools are mucusy looking. When I took her to the vet she had a cold which is being treated and she is coughing up alot of phlem and then swallowing it back down, would this cause the mucus? Should I be taking her to the vet again? I think if the mucus still shows tomorrow I will take her in.

No, dogs can regularly have mucusy poohs when they have been stressed. I am curious if the breeder homed a sick pup to you though -- that is a bit worrying. Are you sure it is actually a cold? Dogs don't really tend to get colds but they do get kennel cough which can turn to pneumonia very easily in a puppy. I would expect the breeder to be covering these vet costs if you only just got this puppy and it was sick right away. You do have a lemon law in New York that makes a breeder liable for homing a sick puppy even if their vet cleared it before homing (a lot of vets are just in cahoots with brokers/breeders and clear ALL their puppies. The vet can be sued as well). If your own vet hasn't seen the puppy in a while and it is still coughing I would bring it back in for that alone.

I wouldn't really be worried about poop consistency unless she actually has the runs and that goes on for longer than 48 hours.

If you need a good puppy reference book I recommend anything by Dr Ian Dunbar.

If her stools are firm, shaped and have some mucus I wouldn't worry. But if they are soft and not shaped or runny with mucus I would take her to the vet right away- with a stool sample.

Thanks!! This is the puppy I recieved from a not great breeder/puppymill. She did arrive sick. I am just not going to fight with this lady over a vet bill. I am just glad I have found out what type of breeder she is! The vet said her cold was borderline pnemonia, but gave her a needle to help battle this. She is doing much better. The vet told me that she could have had kennel cough or just caught a chill on the flight here! We have also dewormed her so hopefully she gets better soon! She has pretty much stopped coughing, but if she plays really hard she starts to wheeze. I have to take her back to the vet next Thursday to be checked again, and recieve another needle if everything hasn't totally cleared up. Thanks again for the info! I'm beginning to feel like an over anxious parent! LOL

Just thought I would let everyone know that Rosa is doing much better! Her pnemonia has pretty much cleared up and her stools have gotten back to what they should be, unless she convinces my husband that I am starving her and he gives in and gives her leftover supper, especially cream soups. But all in all she is doing great and gaining weight like crazy!!

Back