• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eyes surgery on Monday 10/12/07

Well its day three and Marley is pretty much back to normal being naughty and cheeky as ever!! He still has to wear the bucket as he is trying to rub his eyes but we are giving him breaks from it now and then.
He is still being naughty for the medication and seems to know the moment you make the decsion to go and get it as he's off!!!! Then you spend the next 20mins trying to catch him as he races around the house trying to aviod you!
His right eye seems to be bothering him more then the left, hopefully its nothing to be worried about.
I'll post photos soon so you can see whats been done.
Thanks for the support everyone, I know i'm a giantic wuss ;) You would think being a vet nurse would prepare you for this kind of thing, but when its my own pets i turn to jelly!!!! Hehe thanks anyway its great have a support network when you need it

Thursday:
Well today has been a not so good day, My mum took his bucket of so he could eat (he will not eat with it on) and he scratched at his eye! So i went to cleaned it up and there is blood! He's caused the suture line to bleed so the blood mixes with his eye muck and the ointment making a gross mess! Then i started freaking out thiking he's done serious damage or something. I rang the doctor and he said to just put the bucket on give it a clean up more ointment and keep an eye on it. If im still worried tomorrow bring him in.
I really hope it will be ok he last thing we need is a set back!
Otherwise in himself he's really good, he even stole my clothes this morning, something he hadn't done since having the surgery.
Will update again tomorrow, wish us luck!

Oh it seems like two steps forward, one step back. That can be frustrating & worrying, but it does sound like he is making good progress.

Re his medicine. Sometimes you have to be really sneaky. What you can do, is slip his medicine into your pocket maybe about 30 minutes before you plan to use it. Then when the times comes, grab a handfull of treats... something that Marley really loves. Liver treats & peanut butter are a big hit in our place. Offer half of the treats & while Marley is tucking in, you ensure that you now have him secured. Do the nasty deed, and then give him the rest of his treats for being such a wonderful cooperative boy. :)

Here are some photos, I wont put any of the beginning as they upset me and I'm sure they would upset you guys too!
I'll show one from day 2 and some from today so you can see the progress he's making. The sutures are in the corner of the eye (where the tear duct is).

marley2.jpg

As you can see very mucky and sore, still swollen at this point

marleyday2.jpg

Both eyes very swollen, right eye has been more of a problem, heaps more swollen and irritated. He was really having problems opening his eyes.

marley1-1.jpg

This was yesterday, still mucky and sore but getting heaps better

marleyday42.jpg

And today, even after out incident with him scratching his eye, by this afternoon its cleared up well and its looking the best it has...

marleyday43.jpg

Again today, i'm starting to feel like we can get through this! He still isn't able to open them fully (especially right eye) but such an improvement.

Poor wee fellow. They always look so uncomfortable with the cones on, but I know that with eye & ear surgery there isn't really an alternative. I hope his eye heals up soon & he can let his little head out.

I sorry to hear about the set back. Marley does look wonderful considering in the photos. So hopefully he'll heal quickly.

Back