• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Penney and Kate

Bruce H

We just got back pictures from the professional photographer of Penney and Kate, our "seniors", so I thought I would post them here in the Golden Oldies forum. Penney is now 10 years old and Kate is Penney's daughter at almost 8 years old.

Penney came from an Irish breeder and was shipped to us at about 3 1/2 months old. She was and still is shy around strangers. I have always wondered if that was because she was shipped here from Ireland at that young age. Penney is in excellent health now and we have had almost no health problems with her. Her only problem seems to be with her teeth now that she is older. Despite taking really good care of her teeth, she has lost something like 4 or 5 teeth. Sure hasn't slowed down her eating though :lol:. This first picture is of her at about 4 months old with my cat Molly. Forgive me, Penney, but not the best looking Cavalier as a pup. Amazing how she has changed!
2096515686_9b18d1631d.jpg

Penney got much better looking as she got older, so we decided to show her. We got hooked up with a local breeder who helped us get started in showing and then encouraged us to breed her. Her first breeding produced just one puppy, Kate, in an emergency c-section. Welcome to breeding!!!! Kate was an OK looking puppy and we initially decided to place her. Fortunately, I fell in love with Kate and told Kris in no uncertain terms that I couldn't part with Kate. Our breeder friend looked at her and thought it woud be a good idea to keep her as she had show potential. This next picture is of Kate at about 2 (?) months old with her mom Penney.
2095738765_91db97e662.jpg

So now they are all grown up. They have a hard time, sometimes, deciding who is the alpha, but there is no question in our other dog's minds that one or both of them are. When we have a litter of puppies and the pups get to the "pesky" age, Kate generally jumps up on the couch to get away from them. Penney, on the other hand, is the one who seems to always want to play with the pups.

We had Penney and Kate into the cardiologist this late summer along with the rest of the dogs. Both of them are retired from breeding, but we like to keep an eye on them anyway. Kate came back with a clear heart b*n*n* and Penney was just diagnosed with a grade 1 murmer :(. While we would prefer a clear heart on Penney, I think a grade 1 for the first time at this age is really good. So anyway, here is the two of them in a picture taken earlier this fall by the professional photographer. Penney is the one on the right and Kate is on the left. Aren't my girls beautiful?!
2096515822_e8d20eda45.jpg

Oh my gosh! They are a beautiful pair and both have such a regal aura about them! I can see why you are both in total :luv: !!!!!

They are truly stunning!!!! I loved reading their history too. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

They are two lovely blenheim girls. Thanks for sharing that with us it was a lovely story. :)

Oh they are really lovely! It is fascinating to see how heads change, isn't it? I can increasingly see how the ones with promise go wrong and the ones that don't quite add up can really improve. It must placing puppies a hard choice for breeders! PM me sometime with the Irish breeder -- curious to know who got you started. :)

They're absolutely beautiful ! It's a delight to see such healthy cavaliers and in such great condition too.
Penney's half brother is my Daisy's sire, he's about the same age as Penney and is in good health(he lives about 3 miles from me).
If Daisy looks helf as beautiful when she's ten, I'll be thrilled.
Sins

Wonderful pictures, Bruce, especially the last one of the two ladies at the photographers. The dark green is stunning with their beautiful colors!

Thanks so much for the kind comments.

Penney's personality around the house with us is very typical Cavalier. BUT, when other people come over she won't come near them. She will bark at them for a minute or so, then go lay down somewhere; there are only a couple peole outside of us that she will let pet her. I also think she is getting slightly hard of hearing; somtimes I can talk to her when she's sleeping and she won't wake up until I talk quite loud or touch her.

Kate is just the opposite around strangers. She has to be the first one to greet strangers and insists of licking them. She is very much an over-the-top dog.

The one thing both Penney and Kate share is their hatred of the Great Evil Dyson:lol:. Those two fruit loops just go crazy when we try to vacume the floors. We now have to crate the two of them when we vacume.

Last edited:
I visited Kris a week or so ago to show off Star, and see the beautiful B&T puppies. Miss Penney does let visitors know who is the boss of the house!

Back