Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm freaking out!

Post Thanks / Like

Jake is 5 years old and is 27 lbs. He does need to lose 1-2 lbs but he's such a tall boy. But what's most important to me....he's healthy. I think we will continue to see larger Cavaliers...and ain't nuthin' wrong with that...as long as they are healthy.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes big dogs just happen. A friend here has a 30 pound Black/Tan Cavalier, from two Champion parents who are both within standard. His largest sibling is 20 pounds.

I love a bigger Cav, myself - bigger cuddles are always welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

This is Monty, my big lad, who's about 33lbs. Over the years, I've talked to other people with really big dogs and three, including Monty, go back to a particular dog, Rosemullion of Ottermouth. His mum was , thinking back, probably a 25 pounder, but he doesn't get his extra size from his dad either, as his half brother (same sire) lived nearby and he was just about 25lb, too. The breeder had never had such a big puppy before and size may be why he was still unsold at 5 months.

Does it really matter if yours gets big ? My boy is 12 and has a middling murmur , which doesn't bother him and is otherwise healthy and always has been. My, now retired vet, always said she liked the big cavaliers, because they tended to be healthier.

Monty isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he isn't ugly , is he ?

This photo shows how he compares with Joly, who's around 20lbs

Last edited by Barbara Nixon; 15th December 2007 at 12:45 PM.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are lovely pics, Barbara! More to love. I actually prefer homing larger cavaliers to families with children -- they are better able for the rough and tumble I think.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nixon View Post
    but he isn't ugly , is he ?
    Oh no... he is one good looking dude!
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is very handsome, and 33 pounds of Cavalier personality must be an awesome daily treat!
    Owned by Barkley the CKCS , Sweet Pea the ET , and three goofy cats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nixon View Post
    Monty isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he isn't ugly , is he ?
    Oh no, he's lovely. His looks are definitely an argument for the springer spaniel roots of the breed.

Post Thanks / Like

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their comments!! I guess doing all my Cavalier research over the last few years I got the breed standard stuck in my head!! I really think my vet is wrong, arent we all sometimes!
    Thanks again to everyone for their reassuring words!!!!!
    Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

He's a big handsome boy, big IS beautiful in his case.

Post Thanks / Like

Pippin was unsold at 5 months old and the breeder had taken to calling him "Tank". That is when I took him home to live with me. Pippin was my first cavalier and I had a Vizsla, so I didn't know Pippin was a large cavalier, because he was smaller than the Vizsla.

At 1 yr. old Pippin was bigger than his dad and his mom. I got Merry from the same breeder and she shares the same dad and her Mom is a sister to Pippen's mom. In this picture both Pippin and Merry are full grown and you can see the difference is size.

Pippin weighed 19.5 pounds at 10.5 months old. As adults, Pippin is 26 pounds and Merry is 17 pounds.
    Size doesn't matter. Pippin is my most trustworthy cavalier. He is perfect off-leash. I can't say the same for his sister.
    Last edited by Charleen; 16th December 2007 at 11:50 AM.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)