• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Post Luxating Patella my dog is has a new personality

Charleen

Pippin had his Luxating Patella surgery 2 months ago today. He is doing so very well. He is a changed dog. I had a follow-up visit with his vet today and Pippin doesn't need to come back again, unless there are problems.

I would say that Pippin is putting about 80-90 % of his weight on the leg and it won't be long now before he is fully mobile.

What I have noticed since the surgery is that Pippin is more cuddly, more affectionate and more playful. It is amazing. I guess he was in pain before, even when he didn't yelp. That is what the vet says. Now that he doesn't have the discomfort in his knee anymore, he is a changed dog!

Before the surgery, Pippin slept on the floor in my bedroom. Post surgery he sleeps with his head on my pillow. And he often asks to be cuddled & petted during the day. He is so much more friendly now.

You should have seen him the other night. He picked up a dog toy and tossed it in the air. He was having such a good time, the other dogs came to play with him. Pip is a little over 4 years old and he is acting like a playful puppy. I had such a big smile on my face, watching him having fun.

If anyone has a dog with LP and has been delaying the surgery, let me encourage you to get it done. I guess Pippin had discomfort, even when he wasn't yelping and I didn't know it. Now that he is pain free, he is a new dog.

That is wonderful news Charleen. It must have warmed your heart to see Pippin being the puppy again. :luv:

That is such great news for both you and Pippin!! There is nothing better then seeing them happy after surgery and knowing you made the right decision!!! :rah:

Charleen,

I know exactly what you are talking about. Our failed foster (now beloved family member) also had a change in personality. Ella, as a puppy, was very meek and mild. Since her double patella surgery, one year ago now, she is a funny little toot. And the best part, she runs like the wind. To think she would have ended up with crippled legs, been used for nothing other than breeding - still makes me tear up, especially when you see the joy on her face as she races around the yard with the other dogs.

I'm so glad Pippen is doing so well. You won't believe it but he will continue to improve and his little personality will blossom.

Back