• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Horrible Smell

shippers

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this is? Sally has a horrible smell on her that is cheesy. It's really disgusting. She's been a bit quieter yesterday and only ate half her dinner. Last night she was sick twice. I'm quite worried about her so have booked an appointment with the vet for 18:20 today. I'm thinking it could be her anal glands although she's never had this before. Is it normal for anal gland problems to make them sick? I really hope it's nothing bad. :(

Mine have never been sick with anal gland problems, but they have become quieter and tended to sit away on their own. Besides the rubbing bottoms, which they don't all do, other signs are a refusal to climb stairs or jump up onto a chair or at you and a definite dislike of having the area touched.

Let us know how she gets on at the vets, and hope she's feeling better soon.:flwr:

I couldn't venture a guess at what it could be unless you can tell where the smell is coming from.

Anal glands would be very unpleasant, not cheesy (unless you are describing a particularly stinky horrible cheese!). Cheesy smells would probably indicate ear or eye infections -- ears can smell very yeasty when infected.

Let us know how the appointment goes and what the vet says. Hope Sally feels better soon!

Karlin's right. It could be her ears. George had a pretty bad smell from his a while back (in the summer when it was warm and humid). I bought him a good ear cleaner from the vet and also got him some drops. The ear cleaner is brilliant and makes him smell peachy!! He hasn't had a problem since.

He has also suffered with his anal glands and the can be really foul smelling. He's never been sick with them though.

Lots of love and best wishes to Sally.

Thanks for all your advice and kind wishes. We've just got back from the vets and Sally had a full check from head to toe. There didn't seem to be any obvious infection or illness. The vet emptied her anal sacs and she said they were quite full although Sally hasn't had any of the symptoms of anal gland problems. The vet also gave Sally an injection of antibiotics and has prescribed Ampifen 2 tablets twice daily. I asked if her heart sounded normal and she said there was a slight murmur and graded it at 1. I'm quite upset about that because she is only 10months old. The vet said heart murmurs can come and go so not to be too worried.

Tonight Sally has not eaten her dinner which is very unusual. We're just hoping its a one off spell and she'll be ok tomorrow. If she's not better in a few days we will have to go back.

Back