I'm still very new to the Cavalier breed, I've been around them for a couple years and learned quite a bit, but nothing has prepared me for the wonders of actually having Amber in my home! I do have a couple of concerns, though, that I'm hoping I can get answers for.
1. First off, before this comes off wrong, I do have an appt at the vet for her tomorrow. When I cleaned her ears, I noticed a really nasty black gunk in both ears, her ears where just nasty! And I notice she's been scratching at her ears quite a bit, the vet didn't have any appts until tomorrow, is there anything I can do to relieve the pain/itching until I take her to the vet tomorrow?
2. I know this is going to sound funny to more experienced cavalier owners - But how do I keep her hair out of her food? I swear Amber's eating more of her ears then her food!
3. I eventually plan to show Amber just for fun (she's already had 3 litters in her lifetime, and in my book, that's plenty!), what is the best way to help her build coat? She just weaned a litter about 4 months ago and her coat is still pretty thin. Any good tricks to thicken her coat up?
4. Amber's not eating very well, she's only been here since Thursday evening, so she's still very new to my home, but I'm a bit surprised her appetite hasn't picked up by now, she's turned down the usual tricks I use with my IGs to get them to eat, anyone have any good ideas here?
5. Does anyone feed a raw diet with a cavalier? I feed all my IGs raw because I've found they do much better this way, and after the huge dog food scare a couple months ago I figure it's safer this way as well, I've researched IGs long and hard so I know what they'd be eating in the land they originated from. Right now I'm feeding Amber kibble, but especially since she's not eating well, I'm tempted to try her on raw, any experiences with cavaliers and raw?