• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ellies bowel habits

ann

Ellie has just turned one, and was very easy to toilet train, and has never had an accident in the house for a very long time.
Last week just before we were about to get up in the morning ( about 7-30) we heard her ringing her poochie bells. We let her out and she ran into the garden and did her poo. The following morning she had pooed on the kitchen floor (she didnt ring her bells at all to go out).... The day after nothing..... But for the last 3 days she has pooed again.... Her motions are a little loose,but not bad .... I havn't changed her diet at all. She is lively and doesnt seem at all ill..... I am hoping this isnt a bad habit she is developing :(
She has never used a crate.......I just dont know what to do ????

Have you asked the vet if it could be medical?

If not, every time she poos out in the garden give her lots of praise and a treat for doing it right, and don't get mad and let her see you clean it up when she poos indoors. Maybe she just needs a "refresher course" in toilet training.

I havn't been to the vets vet, but if it continues I will have to take her, to rule out any illness, but she seems so well...
I have never shouted at her , but as I said she has been clean for months now. We always make sure she goes out to potty last thing at night... we watched her poo last thing last night....
I am really wondering if she has done it once, and now thinks it's OK to continue to do it?......if so I really can't think how to break the habit:confused:....

That is frustrating! Are you feeding her anything after 6pm? Taking her out and making sure she empties her bowels last thing before bedtime? Just letting her out in the garden may not be enough; she probably needs a walk last thing to clear her bowels. If she has gone before bedtime she is very unlikely to need to go in the morning before you are up. If she hasn't had anything to eat, she also won;t have a full bowel. The most common cause of this type of accident is:

1) medical reason
2) too much food before bedtime
3) lack of bowel movement right before bedtime

You need to be cleaning her accidents with an enzymatic cleaner or solution of biological washing powder or vinegar or she will just keep going in the same place. If none of these things help you will need to approach her as if she isn't housetrained (essentially, she isn't completely housetrained if she is going in the house) I would confine her to a smaller space than the entire kitchen -- either work to crate train her and crate her at night, or put her in smaller room, or get an x-pen and put an open (doorless) crate in it for her to sleep inside, or a comfy bed inside. Just keep in mind she will need to be trained first to use the crate; dogs can be very upset to suddenly be confined to a crate with no training to use it.

Yesterday for instance..... she was fed her normal food at 5-30, had nothing else.....She did a poo at 11 oclock ( I saw her) but she had pooed again during the night.......
I will wait a couple of days to see if it stops, but then I will have to see the vet.... I can't confine her to a small place or crate until I have ruled out anything medical.....
I wish vet's fee's wern't so expensive :eek:

Back