• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gratzi - Gone but not forgotten

CavyMom

I run an Italian Greyhound rescue, and yesterday a very hard lesson was learned for both me as a rescue head, and for an owner that didn't head my warnings. Gratzi was a mill rescue I got out of Missouri, and despite his age (he was 11 years when I brought him into my program), he had plenty of life left in him. I found him what I had felt was a very good home to spend the rest of his life, and he was placed with a gentleman that I know honestly loved Gratzi. But despite many warnings to close the doggy door when he left because he knew Gratzi could climb the fence if he wanted out, tragidy finally struck yesterday, and while his dad was at work, Gratzi climbed the fence to go exploring, and explored his way right into the path of a car and was hit, the person that hit him rushed him into the closest vet, but sadly, it was to late for Gratzi and he passed very shortly after arriving at the clinic. This was the 2nd time I'd received a call saying that Gratzi had gotten loose, I feel awful that I didn't tell the owner right then and there that he'd either start locking the doggy door or I'd take Gratzi back. It's a hard lesson to be learned, I feel partially responsible for Gratzi's tragic death yesterday.

Run free sweet Gratzi, you are free from the suffering you went through in the puppy mill, you're free from pain, free from worry - I will never forget you big boy!!

Well, you did what you thought was right at the time... and you just can't beat yourself over what happens later, or you'll never do anything to begin with. I can say this because I'm just like you, and things haunt me for YEARS. Jean probably tells me three or four times a week that I have to let things go and forgive myself... and though it's hard for me to admit, and probably hard for you as well, deep down we both know she's right.

Keep doing what you do, beause the good will certainly outweigh the bad.

KC

Thank you for your kind words, I know you're right, but it's so hard when I know I could have stopped this from happening!!! But at least Gratzi didn't die in the mill and had a few months of happiness and love before he died.

Beloved paddy

Our beloved pet paddy was hit by a car and died yesterday. He was only two years old we got him from battersea dogs home and would have been celebrating his first adopted birthday with us tomorrow the 20th, the house is so empty without him, i am heartbroken and miss him dreadfully, my mum and dad who never really wanted a dog are distraught we feel so empty and sad, none of us slept last night and my mum and dad can't stop crying, how can we come to terms with losing our beloved paddy, he was a full member of our family and we loved him to bits

from Aidan

I'm so sorry Aidan, it's never easy to loose a part of your family!!! As far as coming to terms, it'll take time, surround yourself with positive memories, and try not to focus on the grief. I lost a very special little dog almost 2 months ago now and I still cry when I think of her, but I knew she wouldn't want me to be sad or upset - Consider bringing another rescue cavalier into your home when you're ready, it may help fill the void.

Aw Aiden,
that is a nightmare. I can understand why you feel so low, especially when Paddy was so young. I'm always scared of my dog getting out. I lost my first cavalier in November. He was eight and died of natural causes but I still cry when I think of him. These dogs are so precious. There's no way round the pain except through it, but a day will come when you'll think of him and smile at some daft thing he did. Right now what you feel is normal and valid and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Maura

Back