• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM dog trial in UK: free MRIs

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Further to Margaret C's earlier post, the Neurology Dept of the Royal Veterinary College in Herts. has begun a trial to test a new pain relief treatment for dogs with SM.

Forty dogs are needed; dogs enrolled in the trial will receive free MRIs and follow up care. Full information available here:

http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Hospitals/QMH/Referrals/ClinicalTrials/Documents/ClinicalTrials_SMy_Info.pdf

This is an excellent opportunity for anyone with an SM cavalier, or a
dog showing symptoms, and participating is a way to help all SM dogs.

I took my youngest SM dog, Tommy, to the Royal Veterinary College on Tuesday, to see if he was suitable for their trial.

He was given a thorough examination by neurologist Kate Chandler, and, as I had suspected, was found to be not quite symptomatic enough for their pain trial ( On examination he had slight neck and back pain, but he does not show symptoms daily, yelps only occasionally, and has not limped for a few months )

Tommy thoroughly enjoyed his visit, as there were a lot of students watching ( at least they will know all about SM ) & they made a great fuss of him

I was sorry, in a way, that we could not take part in the development of a new pain drug for SM dogs, but so pleased that three years after Tommy's syrinx showed up on one of Geoff Skerritt's low cost MRIs, his SM is progressing so slowly & he does not have any significant neurological signs.

I have offered to take Matthew, my older dog, if they wish but said that I suspected he would also get a borderline score.

On the way out I met an old friend who had bought her little cavalier, who has not been scanned, but does shows SM symptoms on a daily basis, for assessment.
Hattie has regular gabapentin three times daily but her pain is not always controlled and she often has screaming fits in the early hours of the morning.
Hattie's score met the RVC criteria, & she stayed in for a MRI scan which confirmed she had a large syrinx in her neck.
Hattie will join the trial in the new year. My friend is desperately hoping that the new drug will prove to be successful.

Tommy received a Xmas card from the RVC clinical Investigation Team this morning with a bandana that says he " helped progress doggy medicine" I think he would have preferred something edible, but my Japanese Chin puppy thinks it is great fun

I would like to thank those that have already contacted the RVC and appeal to anyone with a cavalier that shows syringomyelia symptoms to consider volunteering.
If you know anyone with a cavalier with SM symptoms, please tell them about the trial.
It will cost them nothing, their dog may get a free MRI and they would be helping the dogs that are suffering now, and grim thought, those that are yet to show up with the symptoms.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

It's posted here and crossposted in the SM section as well as my ; problem with posting in the General section is that it drops off the page after about 24 hours because that section gets so many posts, and people don't really look at pinned items a lot of the time. Whereas a lot of people read the Health section! :lol:

This trial needs dogs so if people in the UK have a dog they suspect has SM, or definitely own one already diagnosed, or know of someone with an affected dog, be sure to tell them about this programme.

It's posted here and crossposted in the SM section as well as my ; problem with posting in the General section is that it drops off the page after about 24 hours because that section gets so many posts, and people don't really look at pinned items a lot of the time. Whereas a lot of people read the Health section! :lol:

This trial needs dogs so if people in the UK have a dog they suspect has SM, or definitely own one already diagnosed, or know of someone with an affected dog, be sure to tell them about this programme.

SM

Maybe Clare Rushbridge would be able to advise names and details for any bad SM she has had at Wimbledon for the trials, she always has updates for Ozzys blood tests, at this stage he has no pain, no really scratching, etc. Karlin have you contacted her?

Yes, she's aware of the trial and would refer any possible participants there. (y)

Wish we could participate but we're too far away for it to be practical...

Well done Margaret on taking Tommy though - glad he enjoyed his day. Shame he isn't suitable to participate in the trial but I'm glad as really that's good news for him and for you...

Hoping that Matthew and Tommy keep well in the New Year - we're thinking of you all.

Special Kisses from Rupert xxx

Back