• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

In loving memory of a loyal companion

CavyMom

My first dog ever passed away this morning at the age of 15, we really don't know what Smoky was, we got him as a "free" puppy out of the paper, his mom was a rough collie mix, his dad was a stray mutt that wondered in off the streets, but for his 15 years of life, he was a great dog, very loyal to our family, he would always let us know when something was wrong and kept us safe, he use to round the chickens up and protect them from whatever he felt they needed protection from. Sadly, his life was taken to soon, he was healthy up to the end, but last night in a huge snowstorm my mom called to tell me he'd jumped the fence and she couldn't find him, he'd only been outside a few minutes when he got out of the yard! We searched for hours last night to no luck, sadly this morning we found him next to the highway, our best guess is that he must have taken off after something in the storm last night and been hit almost as soon as he got out. It's a tragic end to such a loyal companion, I really feel bad for my mom, she really depended on Smoky to tell her when someone was at the door since her doorbell doesn't always work and she liked the security of having him around and his company when my dad wasn't home. Please keep her in your thoughts as she grieves the loss of her companion.

oh goodness I'm so sorry to read this - what a tragedy.

the only comfort is that Smoky had 15 wonderful happy years with you and your family - in time you will be able to look back and remember all the happy memories that you have.

Thinking of you all, especially your Mum, and sending comforting thoughts. I hope that perhaps when that dreadful raw pain eases she might find that it would help to learn to love a new companion, it sounds like she will be very lonely without Smoky.

I'm thinking of you and your mam it's a horrible time when you lose your pet but right on Christmas she must be heartbroken, Smokys at the bridge now and he'll be young again and happy, take care

Oh how sad; my thoughts are with your mother at such a difficult time. He certainly was a wonderful dog and companion for all of you.

Thank you all. Personally, I'd be surprised if my mom ever gets another dog, she's a cat person, she's got a few cats that'll help keep her company, but cats just aren't the same, they can't protect you, you can't take them for walks, most don't care if someone is there and won't let you know what's going on - They just do their own thing :( The hardest is that this was right before Christmas, my poor mom's heart is broken :( I hope when the pain of loosing Smoky starts to diminish I'll be able to find the perfect dog in a shelter or rescue somewhere and convince her to let another dog into her life.

We're so sorry for you, and your Mums loss, you are all in our thoughts at this difficult time :hug::flwr:

Back