Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doggie Door Bells-Teach your dog to "ring the bell" to ask to go outside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    If I had one of those the Abigail hound would eat it very quickly, she seems to have arrived very late at her chewing/shredding phase

Have you tried an anti-chew spray to deter her from her favorite objects? They sell a lot of products that don't work in stores. I highly recommend EQyss McNasty Anti-chew spray. It has worked wonders with my two!

Post Thanks / Like

Can older dogs be taught to use the bell?

I have heard of this method before and tried to get my rescued schnauzer (aged 5) to use it. I don't know if I didn't persevere enough or maybe she's a bit thick but she never managed to grasp the concept!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think older dogs can definitely learn to use it. It takes a lot of consistency and praise. Keep at it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    Can older dogs be taught to use the bell?

I have heard of this method before and tried to get my rescued schnauzer (aged 5) to use it. I don't know if I didn't persevere enough or maybe she's a bit thick but she never managed to grasp the concept!!!
    I taught my 2 how to use the bells at age 4. Consistency and a treat every time they ring is the answer. You also need to act very quickly when they do ring the bell and you're not near them. Bella caught on very quickly and now rings the bell occasionally just to get a treat . It took Molly longer but she is deaf. I didn't actually expect her to learn this so she surprised me.
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering if older dogs (age 1 1/2 yrs.) can be trained to use these. Quincy stands by the door to let us know he wants out....he seldom barks which would be helpful. Thanks....

Post Thanks / Like

Oops! I missed the responses to training older dogs that were sent before mine...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Linda'nQuincy View Post
    Oops! I missed the responses to training older dogs that were sent before mine...........
    No problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some from Helping Udders (wish I'd seen yours first!!) but I think my husband thought it was a C'mas decoration. Shortly after the holidays he took them off the door!! I'm going to try again, though. If raccoons can learn to ring a bell for food then a Cavalier should be able to ring one to go outside (unless, of course, she can get someone else to ring it for her!!)
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think with patience any dog can learn to use the bells. Lucky has been using them since he was about 6 months. But I have a friend with a 3 year old that I gave a set to, and her dog learned to use them in a matter of weeks. Patience & consistency are key.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I think with patience any dog can learn to use the bells. Lucky has been using them since he was about 6 months. But I have a friend with a 3 year old that I gave a set to, and her dog learned to use them in a matter of weeks. Patience & consistency are key.
    Lani, I've been trying to get my two to use their bells but they just look at them how do you get them to ring them ? please please tell me because I am obviously doing something wrong .
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....