• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Adding a member to the family!

Just a general note of celebration. My husband and I have decided to adopt another Cavalier, a to-be-born ruby boy.:paw: We spent Christmas with our family and their large, old cat and couldn't stop laughing because Madison, our 9-month old blenheim girl, just LOVED to play with the cat. They would chase and roll around until with each other until they both were so tired they couldn't keep their eyes open. It was adorable! :luv: My husband and I had been on the fence about whether we should adopt another Cavalier, but after seeing Madison and the family cat together we are excited to welcome another member to the family. The newest family member, which we plan to name Calvin, is due to be born on February 11, 2008. We can't wait! :rah:

Any tips for soon-to-be parents of 2 Cavaliers? Stories? Advice?

I think that's great news. I wish I had two but I hope to get a second Cavalier when my kids leave home.

I was at my friends house with Dylan (she has a dog too) and I told her about my plans. She said it would be difficult to visit friends with two dogs. Has anyone found this a drawback?

I'm not sure why it would be any more difficult to visit with two than it is or would be with one.

Pauline, I was worried if it would be more difficult to take 2 out visiting friends/family etc but its really not. In fact since having the 2 we take them everywhere with us as it is even harder to resist another set of eyes begging to go with you.
Getting another is the best thing we did and it really brings out the others personality:)

All, thanks for the responses and stories, especially Gem's statement that "getting another is the best thing you ever did." You really reaffirm our decision.

Any more 2 dog stories? :luv:

I decided I had to get another after I walked my 9 month old boy and we met another dog "FiFi" on a walk - they played for about 5 minutes and when I said "OK lets go" Kosmo started crying and throwing a fit :eek:

We added Faith about 3 months later - and they honestly complete each other :D Kosmo is more laid back and easy going whereas Faith is a terror and a woman who knows what she wants :lol: Their personalities are so much different from each other so they pick up on each other's strengths and weaknesses :fool:I don't remember what life was like with one, but I know I would never be without two again :flwr:

Congrats on your new addition :flwr:

They say "a picture says a thousand words" This was taken the night we bought Heidi (our 2nd cav) home and they have been like it ever since
100_0922.jpg

awww Gem thats such a sweet picture - but totally true of having multiple cavaliers. I'm the same - it was the best thing we ever did, we no longer have a finnicky eater ( as you gotta eat fast when Oakley is around LOL) and to watch them run in the woods together is just a wonderful thing sight to see.......

I agree with the above post. Having 2 made me want a third and a third I got! But when will it end??????:)

LO that's what my hubby says - and we have 6 living here!!

I think 2 is a lovely number, they are good company for each other. By 3, your whole life really revolves around them -and after that it just gets worse! By 6, not many people are brave enough to have you visit!! {yes if you count my signature it shows 5, but I foster a bitch for my friend, Tizzi}

Four is a really nice number - but still may be too many to take around with you.

On a more serious note, if you are considering adding to the family, please think very seriously about doing so - do you have time to look after that many dogs, space for them - we have just under 1/2 acre of garden here, so plenty of room to run around. One thing we don't like to think of but should be considered is FINANACES - not just purchasing the dog, but vet costs particularly - also feeding.

To give you an idea, it takes 2 hours to brush everyone properly...then two walks daily {unless hubby is around to walk with me - and we are very lucky in that we have many areas where we can let them run loose, it is nearly impossible to walk 6 on the lead together}. Poop scooping takes a little while - at least 2 poos each daily, times 6!! Well I'll leave you to imagine that...and do you have facilities to dispose of that?

Individual training and play times...probably as much as you can give - likewise cuddles.

Feeding - it takes about 1/2 an hour to get everyone's dinner ready - and then clearing up afterwards.

You usually have to shift someone to be able to sit down!!

And can you live with the extra dog hair - we vacuum every day, but there is still always dog hair around and in the air...

How will you transport them in the car? We had to have a cage specially made, from http://www.dogcages.net/home.htm. It is excellent, and very quiet in use - I hate the ones that rattle! - but it wasn't cheap. We also have a divider, so have 3 in each side. We do also have a large car...

And lastly - but can be very important - can you and YOUR NEIGHBOURS cope with the noise? Hubby refers to them as a cacophony of Cavaliers - they are only really noisy if people are around {doing their job of alerting us, or walkies time.}

Having said all that, I wouldn't swop them for the world - they are the best incentive to get up in the morning, and you feel like you are the most loved person in the world.

Last edited:
I'm sure Dylan would love a companion - most Cavaliers do love one of their own for company as we can't be with them 24 hours a day.

I hope the above will help anyone thinking of adding to their family - one point I missed though is the cost of insurance - we're currently paying between £170 and £350 for those who are insured - the higher one being for my 11 year old. It can be a huge percentage of dog owning costs, but is I think almost essential these days - TedBear is currently on £100 of meds per month - and that's not including heart meds which can easily be in the region of £100 to £150 per month once they are on several different drugs.

TedBear is currently on £100 of meds per month - and that's not including heart meds which can easily be in the region of £100 to £150 per month once they are on several different drugs.

My goodness! thats a lot of ££££ - glad my two are insured :):paw:

Yes it's quite frightening how expensive drugs are - some of the heart drugs are very cheap, ones that have been out years and are acutally "human" drugs, but the newer meds are terribly expensive.

Poor TedBear is on quite a cocktail for his Syringomylia, one of those is a "human" drug, and that is currently £56 per month on it's own EEK!

Insurance?

Do MOST Cavalier owners get pet insurance? I have heard that it is not worth the money, at least that's what those I have spoken to in the U.S.A. say. Thoughts?

Its the best thing you could do getting another cavvy. I have a blenheim boy (Harvey) aged 16 months and we have now got a ruby boy (Rudi) aged 4 months and they just love each other, it is great to see. Good luck, bet you can't wait until February.

2148491288_1298e847b1.jpg

As for insurance I wouldn't be without it for my 2, you just never know!!

I have 2 friends and both of there dogs are not insured. One has just paid out £1000 just before christmas, and the other paid over £3000 earlier this year, plus she has now got monthly perscription for her dog. My advice would be YES get insured quickly. I only pay £18 per month for both of mine, but make sure you get the insurance policy that covers for life not just for 1 year.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Anna, they look sooooo coooool in their lttle outfits:p They look like thry are ready for their first day at school..... bless.

Back