Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet Tabs and supplements

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nixon View Post
    A retired vet, on another forum, highly recommended Pet Tabs as having the best vitamin makeup and uses them as treats.

Sorry Barbara, have to disagree strongly here, they were not used as treats, that makes it sound as though they were used many times a day, every day, which is wrong.

My vet recommends them and I use them for my oldies, half a Pet Tab once a day, have done for some years and as they are or have all reached their teens, think they must have done ok!

Post Thanks / Like

I use NuVet too. Madison has done very well with it. Her breeder recommended we use it. (Actually, to get the health guarantee from the breeder we have to use it.) You can buy it online.

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought some Pet tabs from vetuk so will see how Sally goes with them. I just bought the small pot for now. The other ones called Nuvet don't seem to be available in the UK. I couldn't find them through google.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a veterinary nutritionist say it's best NOT to use a vitamin tab if the dog is fed a high quality diet.

The vitamins you have to watch out for are the fat soluble ones like A & D, because they can build up to toxic levels. The water soluble ones are excreted if not needed, so mostly no worries with these.

Also, I think supplements can be great. My dog does beautifully with his arthritis supplements (fish oil, vit E, glucosamine/chondroitin, etc.) You just have to make sure you're using them properly!

Post Thanks / Like

I meant ocassional treats, Ruth -mainly for photos of other people's dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    Sorry Barbara, have to disagree strongly here, they were not used as treats, that makes it sound as though they were used many times a day, every day, which is wrong.

My vet recommends them and I use them for my oldies, half a Pet Tab once a day, have done for some years and as they are or have all reached their teens, think they must have done ok!
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I give my dogs human grade fish oil gelcaps a few times a week for heart health. I'm also considering giving them a green lipped mussel supplement for arthritis prevention in the near future.

I don't think they need additional vitamins and minerals if they're eating a high quality diet, and would only do so if my current vet prescribed it to treat a health problem.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)