• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Tabs and supplements

shippers

I have heard that Pet Tabs are good to give to a dog once a day as a vitamin boost. Is anyone using Pet Tabs at the moment and recommends them? Or can anyone suggest other supplements that can help general health?

Keep in mind to much of many vitamins is as bad or worse then not enough. Personally, as long as the dog is on a high quality food suitable for the breed and lifestage, I see no need to add alot of "extras" to the diet.

Keep in mind to much of many vitamins is as bad or worse then not enough. Personally, as long as the dog is on a high quality food suitable for the breed and lifestage, I see no need to add alot of "extras" to the diet.

I agree . If I had a puppy they would be fed a complete food with no suppliments at all . they should not need it if fed a good quality food & you can do more harm than good.

I consider one of my dogs to have been over fed & over supplimented as a pup. Their bones have not grown to the right lengths in relation to each other .
Of course it might not be the food but none of my other dogs were fed in the same way & none of them have had the same problem.

We feed Sally a good quality diet so there is probably no need for supplements. I was just wondering if certain vitamins and supplements might improve coat and vitality and give them a boost. I wouldn't want to cause any harm though

I give mine Vetzyme Conditioning tablets for a few days if they have had the runs or anything. I don't give them all the time. (You can get them at Croston Corn Mill)

I give Holly an evening primrose capsule once a day for her coat (when she was speyed it went very guinea pig like, coarse and curley)

I'll have a look at all the vitamins recommended. It's not that Sally has a dull coat or isn't healthy I just want to do the best for her. I was recommended Pet Tabs by a retired Vet and they're made by Pfizer so thought they'd be good. I'll buy some and see how she goes with them. Will let you know the outcome

Well I am rather anti the whole vitamin supplement thing. Regardless of whether we are talking about humans or dogs, my thinking is that supplements should only be given if there is a known deficiency. In affluent countries like USA, UK, Australia etc., at best 99.99% of vitamins that humans take get peed down the toilet, because they are not needed and are simply excreted. At worst, they can have nasty side effects caused by build up or interaction with other medications. It is just a big commercial rip off and the health food shops are laughing up their sleeves.

If a human or a dog is given a well rounded diet there is no need for supplements, unless some symptoms or laboratory diagnostic reveals that there is in fact a deficiency. The other reason would be if for medical reasons a particular food group can not be given, leaving a shortfall in the diet.

Ask yourself, exactly what vitamin/mineral/trace element is it that you think your dog might be deficient in? Ask yourself why you think that. Then go do a Google to find out what foods those goodies occur in naturally.

That is my humble opinion anyway. :p

A retired vet, on another forum, highly recommended Pet Tabs as having the best vitamin makeup and uses them as treats. I don't think they are really necessary unless your dog seems to be lacking in some way. Mine only get a fish skin roll or cube a day , as this not only shines the coat, but cleans the teeth, too. Joly has certainly had less tartar buildup since we started using them.

A retired vet, on another forum, highly recommended Pet Tabs as having the best vitamin makeup and uses them as treats.

Sorry Barbara, have to disagree strongly here, they were not used as treats, that makes it sound as though they were used many times a day, every day, which is wrong.

My vet recommends them and I use them for my oldies, half a Pet Tab once a day, have done for some years and as they are or have all reached their teens, think they must have done ok!

I use NuVet too. Madison has done very well with it. Her breeder recommended we use it. (Actually, to get the health guarantee from the breeder we have to use it.) You can buy it online.

I've bought some Pet tabs from vetuk so will see how Sally goes with them. I just bought the small pot for now. The other ones called Nuvet don't seem to be available in the UK. I couldn't find them through google.

I had a veterinary nutritionist say it's best NOT to use a vitamin tab if the dog is fed a high quality diet.

The vitamins you have to watch out for are the fat soluble ones like A & D, because they can build up to toxic levels. The water soluble ones are excreted if not needed, so mostly no worries with these.

Also, I think supplements can be great. My dog does beautifully with his arthritis supplements (fish oil, vit E, glucosamine/chondroitin, etc.) You just have to make sure you're using them properly!

I meant ocassional treats, Ruth -mainly for photos of other people's dogs.

Sorry Barbara, have to disagree strongly here, they were not used as treats, that makes it sound as though they were used many times a day, every day, which is wrong.

My vet recommends them and I use them for my oldies, half a Pet Tab once a day, have done for some years and as they are or have all reached their teens, think they must have done ok!

I give my dogs human grade fish oil gelcaps a few times a week for heart health. I'm also considering giving them a green lipped mussel supplement for arthritis prevention in the near future.

I don't think they need additional vitamins and minerals if they're eating a high quality diet, and would only do so if my current vet prescribed it to treat a health problem.

Back