• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cutting the hair near the hindquarters...?

SHANO

I can't believe I haven't been here in over a year!!! Anyway, I have a question. We're thinking about possibly cutting the hair that's on the hindquarters of Wesley and Daisy. Poor Wesley gets diarrhea caught up in there and it's disgusting. Of course only on the rare occasion that he has it, but still... kinda gross. Especially if we don't see it right away and he's running around the house.

So, is this something people do? If so, do I cut it just as short as the rest of his hair? Thanks!!!

Yes, we do this for any dog we don't show. It is called a sanitary cut. It helps keep the dog cleaner. We try to keep as much of the leg fringes as we can, but we trim under the tail.

Thank you so much Sandy! Should I just use scissors or electric clippers?

(P.S. I'd still love to meet you sometime and see all your furbabies!!!)

I use the electric trimmers--nothing fancy, it just stays cleaner for both the boys and girls that way.

We have two here that still haven't had shots- so we don't have visitors yet. Hubby has to take off his shoes (you'd think I had made him strip, for the complaining he's done about that).

I also trim the rears on both of mine. Shelby tends to get pee pee stinky and Jake gets knots. I use my clippers or scissors and cut just enough so they aren't messy.

Back