Thread: Heartworm Vaccination

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Heartworm Vaccination

Guys, a while back I learned that the heartworm vaccination had been pulled off the market there in the USA due to a high number of adverse reactions and deaths.

The reason I ask is that my guys have always been given a monthly heartworm tablet due to the fact that here in Australia, and particularly my area we have mosquitos all year round & heartworm is a constant threat. When I first heard about this vaccination I thought "you beauty" and was all geared up in my head to have my lot done when their annual vaccinations came due.

Now of course, I have decided it isn't worth the risk. Australia can be a little slow at pulling nasty drugs off the market, so I'm more inclined to watch what is happening there in the USA.

Anyway, I wonder if anybody has any updated news on this? I am about 99.99% sure I am going to give this a big miss at the moment, but wouldn't mind a last minute update if anybody has any.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Haven't heard anything yet - my vets are still prescribing Revolution or the monthly tabs. I use the Interceptor monthly tabs for added protection against other worms.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it's refers to Proheart 6 - http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWER.../ANS01312.html

more info here

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/avictim.htm

scroll down - I don't know this site, it came up on a search so you many need to check it.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly Proheart 6 was a good IDEA for some owners that have trouble remembering monthly meds, but I agree that it's to dangerious - About 4 -5 years ago now I used it on one of my dogs and the dog became very sick from it, it's caused a number of deaths as well, knowing what I know now even if they re-released a "safer" proheart 6 I wouldn't use it - Keep in mind that heartworm meds are really poison in small doses, in my eyes a small amount of poison that only lasts a month is much safer then a large amount of poison that lasts 6 months or longer!!!
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Sounds like it may still be a no-go-zone. I'll just get the regular vaccinations done and keen using the monthly tables. Better safe than sorry.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~