• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heartworm Vaccination

Caraline

Guys, a while back I learned that the heartworm vaccination had been pulled off the market there in the USA due to a high number of adverse reactions and deaths.

The reason I ask is that my guys have always been given a monthly heartworm tablet due to the fact that here in Australia, and particularly my area we have mosquitos all year round & heartworm is a constant threat. When I first heard about this vaccination I thought "you beauty" and was all geared up in my head to have my lot done when their annual vaccinations came due.

Now of course, I have decided it isn't worth the risk. Australia can be a little slow at pulling nasty drugs off the market, so I'm more inclined to watch what is happening there in the USA.

Anyway, I wonder if anybody has any updated news on this? I am about 99.99% sure I am going to give this a big miss at the moment, but wouldn't mind a last minute update if anybody has any.

Haven't heard anything yet - my vets are still prescribing Revolution or the monthly tabs. I use the Interceptor monthly tabs for added protection against other worms.

Sadly Proheart 6 was a good IDEA for some owners that have trouble remembering monthly meds, but I agree that it's to dangerious - About 4 -5 years ago now I used it on one of my dogs and the dog became very sick from it, it's caused a number of deaths as well, knowing what I know now even if they re-released a "safer" proheart 6 I wouldn't use it - Keep in mind that heartworm meds are really poison in small doses, in my eyes a small amount of poison that only lasts a month is much safer then a large amount of poison that lasts 6 months or longer!!!

Thanks guys. Sounds like it may still be a no-go-zone. I'll just get the regular vaccinations done and keen using the monthly tables. Better safe than sorry.

Back