Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking off the lead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walking off the lead?

Can cavaliers be let off the lead at all when on walks? Do they tend to run off and get lost or stick around you?

Post Thanks / Like

i personally would never let a cavalier off-lead unless i was in either a fenced area or an area where they could run a long way and be far from any traffic. cavaliers are very attracted to movement like blowing leaves, birds and insects and are fearless by nature so they have no inherent fear of cars. Many people on this forum have lost their furbabies or (myself included) had close calls and scares because of leads slipping out of hands, etc...

re-call training is very important, but unfortunately my experience has shown me that it's dangerous to let cavaliers off lead unless they are in a large field, the woods, etc...
    Mom of Indiana Jones 'Indy' (Ruby male)

Post Thanks / Like

I walk my Cavalier off lead. whilst by the road, traffic, built up areas she is on her lead but soon as we hit the countryside she is straight off her lead.

I would practice, practice, practice your recall with her/him and when you feel they have mastered it, give it a go... You know your own dog,so dont be affraid, if you feel they will know whos pack leader and come every time then give it a go...
    If we are approached by another dog I do pop her back on the lead but only because I dont know the other dog.

Have fun
    Kerry and Willow

Post Thanks / Like

all my dogs are "off-line" on walk, preferably in the open countryside or in a field or in a wood, of cource not in the near of a street.
    Best Wishes

Cata
    with Baggy *09.'99 / Tiger *09.'01 / Mini *05.'03 / Josy *10.03 / Picco *09.'05

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention my cavalier is only 14 weeks old.
    Kerry and Willow

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I share the view of those above. Yes they can of course be off lead, but only AFTER you have put in the time to train recall and NEVER near traffic. Also always be aware of possible distractions in dangerous areas. For example, my Leo will bolt several hundred yards across the Phoenix Park -- that includes the road -- if he smells the dog pond as he loves to swim. He will also bolt the same distance if the wind carries the smell of deer to him. It is very difficult to get him to recall in these two situations. Cavaliers ARE spaniels and many retain a strong scenting and prey instinct and may run off after something they scent.If the dog isn't already trained to return, it may not return.

Here's some good advice on training recall:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=20346

It's actually a lot of fun to train but start in the house or your own garden, move on to using a long lead (you can get these from www.dogtrainingireland.ie), then [practice in safe open areas away from traffic. Recall needs REGULAR reinforcement so I often bring treats on a walk and will call the dogs back at different distances and treat and praise when they return. It becomes a fun game on a walk.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always walk Holly off lead unless were in a public place or on a main road
    Holly -Blenheim two and a half

3 ginger toms - Zippy Noah and Alfie

Post Thanks / Like

My dog sitter always walks mine off lead when they visit her but I am terrified to walk mine off lead!
    Owned by Tilly (blen), Jody (b/t), Pebbles (b/t), Libby (ruby) and Freddie (b/t) .... Love em! x

Post Thanks / Like

It's a personality thing too. Like others, I'll only go off-lead in a park, and sometimes not even then depending on fences etc. Holly is reliable in that she never goes further than 10 paces away from me, so I usually feel ok about letting her off. Bad Amber is a typical Cavalier with her head in the clouds and I'm much more wary about letting her off, although she's improved. Now, if we can only convince her that chasing the cows in the field next to my parents really isn't a good idea...
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lisa - our two are definitely related! Merlin is so trustworthy but Oakley is just like Amber!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)