Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bones and veg

Post Thanks / Like

For veggies - most things but not onion.

We get a mix of above and below ground - different colours and not too starchy, lot of dark leafy stuff. Try to get what is going cheap at the shop.

Such as:-
    carrot
    parsnip
    little potato
    swede
    turnip

celery
    pea
    cabbage
    brocoli
    cauli
    lettuce

through a juicer and then mixed back up with the pulp in a food processor.

We then freeze it in ice cube tray for easy portions later.
    Simon and Shirley
    Guinness (12yr Tri) - Willow (2 1/2yr Ruby) - Bailey (1 3/4yr Blein) -Tarmac (departed B&T was 10yr)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simonrickell View Post

We then freeze it in ice cube tray for easy portions later.
    Do you then just defrost the portions and put on their food or do you warm them up? I've just bben puuting it in whole on their food - is quite amusing to watch Merlin trying to eat broccoli stalks ( he can't seem to keep them in his mouth poor lad
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmum View Post
    Do you then just defrost the portions and put on their food or do you warm them up? I've just bben puuting it in whole on their food - is quite amusing to watch Merlin trying to eat broccoli stalks ( he can't seem to keep them in his mouth poor lad
    we defrost the portions, add some mince, some finely chopped raw liver, an egg and some other stuff - then mix it all up.

I don't think that they can get the full goodness out of the whole item - hence mushing it up. It's supposed to be like your pet wolf - eating the insides of his prey - such as the kidneys/liver/heart with part digested stomach contents.
    Simon and Shirley
    Guinness (12yr Tri) - Willow (2 1/2yr Ruby) - Bailey (1 3/4yr Blein) -Tarmac (departed B&T was 10yr)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I might have a go at that - Thanks
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As this thread has already indicated, there are many different view on what to feed the dogs & whether bones are safe. The answer will often reflect the country that you live in.

Here in Australia most vets will advise that raw bones are an essential part of the daily diet. Up until about a year ago I used to feed a mixture of part raw, part kibble, part bones. This past year we switches to the BARFT diet a la Dr Ian Billinghurst. So my guys get about 60% raw meaty bones (usually chicken) with the remaining 40% being made up of a mixture of red meats with vegetables & a little grain. They also get some fish, eggs & dairy. Once or twice a week they also get recreational bones. Those are the ones without a heap of meat on them, but can be chewed on all day long.

Something I only learned recently..... if you do feed bones, be sure to remove them from the yard once they have been abandoned. Apparently over time they dry out & become as brittle & dangerous as a cooked bone.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all replies,I have so much to learn!