• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Can anyone tell me if...

ice-cavi

..it is a FAULT when a tri-colour is not white BETWEEN the eyes? or "just" bettter to have?

My Silva is black between the eyes ,and I knew when I bought her that the white between the eyes is wanted but wasn´t sure if it is a Fault when missing?
(I got to choose between 3 girls but Silva had the personallity that I was looking for:)....)

here is a pic of my black girl :)
20080104201230_4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ice-cavi,

The Uk standard says "Tricolour: black and white well spaced, broken up, with tan markings over eyes, cheeks, inside ears, inside legs, and on underside of tail."

Doesn't mention anything about where the white has to be??

You generally really want a white blaze between the eyes if you were to show, as far as I have seen (I've never seen a show tri that doesn't have a clear blaze). This would probably be considered a cosmetic fault even if not specifically in the breed standards. However markings are usually the most minor aspect when considering the show quality of a dog -- many are not ideally marked. But I don't think most would show a tri lacking a blaze. But again this is totally minor and makes no difference in a pet! Personally I think the blaze-less tris are really cute, and also like the particolours mismarked with white on one eye (half mask). :)

Oh one thing that comes to mind as well is that most tris with that much black on the head seem also to be often heavily blanketed (mostly black) -- which is considered a fault (not 'well broken up' with white as on the standard). So I don't think very often the situation would come about that a tri would be well marked on the body and have a really black head. Breeders also say the more red they have on their heads, the more heavily black they are on the body.

It is true however that only the blenheim standard calls for either a blaze or 'markings well-spaced' on the head with enough of a blaze that a lozenge will be clearly seen, if the dog has one. That's interesting as I always thought the US and UK breed standards also called for a blaze on tris!

Ahhh --ACKCSC standard:

Tricolor - Jet black markings well broken up on a clear, pearly white ground. The ears must be black and the color evenly spaced on the head and surrounding both eyes, with a white blaze between the eyes. Rich tan markings over the eyes, on cheeks, inside ears and on underside of tail.

In practice I think this is pretty much what breed clubs actually look for.

So it seems that unless you're showing its unimportant. Your Silva is beautiful as she is! Just had to check my Barney and he has the classic tri- markings but since we're not into showing I hadnt ever noticed- only that he is gorgeous!:rah:

Silva looks beautiful. Her colors are perfectly balanced. I think you did the right thing when you selected her based on her personality. That is so much more important.

she is gorgeous and I personally like her without that white blaze. She's adorable and has character!

I'll answer this under the assumption that you are considering showing her. If she is your pet, it doesn't matter, there are other things many times more important such as health and temperament.

First off, there is no such thing as the perfect dog. All dogs have faults. It seems that the ACKCSC wants the blaze, but the CKCSC makes no mention of it. So what it boils down to is what does the judge think are more important or less important faults. Generally the markings are considered less important to judges in my experience.

Good example about faults: we have a boy with an off bite. Everyone told us we would be lucky to get points on him, but we felt he was SO good in every other way. Long story short, he became an AKC champion at less than 2 years old. We lost count, though, of how many times the judges told us they wanted to put him up, but couldn't get past the bite.

It does so depend on the standard of show dogs in your Country and the number of cavaliers being shown.

She is a very pretty little girl with lovely rich tan, and if she has well broken markings that will be a bonus, but in the UK her lack of blaze & the missing pigment on her nose would count against her, as there will be so many nice puppies without those faults being shown.

In the UK heavily marked tricolours can win well if they have good conformation and move well,( I won a puppy class at Crufts with a dog marked like a border collie) but I think that the fault is often more likely to be overlooked when a well known exhibitor is showing them.

If she is to be your pet & perhaps have a litter or two, then I would agree that you were absolutely right to put temperament first.
This is a wonderful breed & it is their sweet loving nature that make them so special.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

Silva is firstly and foremost a pet and a familymember but if i can show ,i I will since I think showing is really fun. The FCI standard dosn't mention the blaze in tri's only in Blenheim's so its all a bit confusing.

It´s definantly going to be exiting to see what the judge is going to say ,maybe we'll be the laughing stock this time:D
Anyway thanks for all the answers:)

20080104201522_8.jpg

An icelandic saying goes: hver þykir sinn fugl fagur which meens: everybody think his bird is the most beautyfull one:) So we are of course happy with her looks no matter what;)

I can understand your question if you're interested in showing her, but just objectively speaking without regard to showing, she's absolutely gorgeous!

I've seen a handful of tris with little or no blaze, and to me, they're even more striking than ones with blazes. A 'bad' blaze is distracting to me (Beauregard's is wanky), and from the picture I've seen, a 'perfect' blaze is hard to come by. Somehow, it seems like the ones with little or no blaze never lose the 'puppy' look...

Elvis' littermate is in the show ring. I've always felt that Elvis is a much better looking dog. Of course, he has the cowlick, and probably too much black on his coat, but to my untrained eye his movement is a joy to watch... he's happy all the time and kinda prances when he trots and his tail will waggle his little butt noticebly. We love Beauregard to pieces, but getting Elvis is what ensured that we'll always have Cavaliers.

Last edited:
Ok just thought I put this in:)
Silva came in 4th place without her blaze! The judge was Brittish Caroline Akroyd- Gibson.
So even if it is a fault it should not stop you from showing tri´s with small or no blaze:)
20071204132427_0.jpg

I kind of like the solid black forehead, too. Like others have said, I guess the judges have plenty to pick from that are "perfectly marked," though.

Daisy's blaze is "wanky," which is probably the major reason the breeder sold her as a pet. Plus she's got a few freckles, too (6 to be exact). Her blaze goes pretty far off-center to the left. The crooked blaze, and the freckles collectively make her look kind of quirky-cute, IMO. Anyway, she's cute to me!

My breeder had a girl get a 3rd at Crufts who had the best part of her tail removed after it was broken in a door. My guess is she must have been pretty!

I prefer no blaze myself. Well done on your well deserved win. She stands nicely.

Back