• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Will Charlie calm down when he's out of his puppy stage??

Charlie is 12 weeks old now.He was very quiet when i "Adopted" him (at 8 weeks old),sleeping all the time.But now he's gone a little crazy,still sleeps quite a bit,but when awake...is very very awake!!running around mad and even bit my nose today,in a playfull way..but he's very hyper!!Ive never had a king charles before..will he get calmer??He has a lovely friendly nature and has me in stitches laughing but,if he was a bit less active it'd be great..:razz:

He's just going into his active phase -- at 8 weeks you had the equivalent of a baby that sleeps all the time and he'll never be like that again except in old age. Now you have a toddler. He'll be pretty active for the the next couple of months. They tend to calm down a bit after about 7-8 months (I found anyway) but you may well have an active adult as well. All dogs are different! I have one extremely active boy and I would be permanently comatose if all mine were like him. The future personality can be seen when they are small puppies but it would depend how he was in the whole litter and over time -- only the breeder usually has the time to have seen that. That said of course a lot is up to environment too -- a quieter dog can blossom into a far more lively dog when out of a group -- and also, an underexercised, bored dog is going to be a lot more restless and active (and potentially, destructive) than a well exercised, mentally stimulated dog (through obedience, agility, clicker activities, active walks with lots of opportunity for exploration).

That's exactly how Jake was! I was so attracted to the breed because of their calm personalities...and I got the complete opposite! At 5 years old he's definitely calmer but no less demanding. I was chatting with my breeder the other night and she commented that when they have a vocal puppy they say "we have a Jake" ;) He definitely has to be mentally challenged in order to calm down.

Good thing we live thousands of miles apart and can't get Jake and Jaspar together. :eek: I call Jaspar my ADD dog.

that fits well with the cat tree pose. who else but an ADD dog would go through the effort of figuring out how to get up there?

My Honey was the same way. It took taking her to our local training facility and getting involved in Agility..She love it and was top of our class. I believed she needed a job and this worked for us.
They still have their moments when our living room becomes a race track with the chairs and coffee table making the perfect figure eight.

Good luck and enjoy.

my little girl who will be one year old next month was quite active at that age. a true terror after a good long rest. maile is much better now but she is still fairly active when she is awake. I try to take her on a good walk and run on a long rope at the park as often as I can. that helps. we have tons of toys and I was redirecting her it seemed like for months. I still do but not as often.

that fits well with the cat tree pose. who else but an ADD dog would go through the effort of figuring out how to get up there?

:lol: He has actually climbed up three levels of the really tall ceiling cat tree too -- that's because the cats have their food up on a bookshelf accessible only from the cat tree. :rolleyes:

Bailey was like that as a puppy, and now he is 1.5 and still pretty hyper. He loves to run around and loves toys, I wish I had half the energy that little guy has lol :rotfl:

Back