• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sunburnt Nose

Nisha

Hey everyone,
gosh i havent posted in sooo long! just been quietly looking through the threads.
anyway, milo has always had (from birth) a bit of pink on his nose a little bit even going into on of his nostrils. now and then it starts peeling and on rare occasions it bleeds a little or atleast goes a very raw red colour....i was talking to a friend and she said she puts human sun screen on her dogs nose in the pink area.....is that ok to do? or is there like a special dog sun screen? i havent seen one around..

also another question, i was told you could get tatooing done on the nose to make it completely black...anyone ever done this before???

thankyou,
nisha

The nose is very sensitive and tattooing would , surely, be very painful, and out for purely cosmetic reasons. I would ask your vet about using sunscreen, as there may be toxins in it and dogs do lick thier noses. i would try to avoid very hot sun, as besides overheating the dog, any sunburn could cause skin cancer , a common problem in white animals in particular.

Yeah i didnt really have any intention about doing the tatooing ..i just have never heard about it so i enquired..

Human sunscreen is not suitable for dogs due to the zinc content and something called PABA, it is very harmful if (or when) it is licked and ingested. You can buy special doggie sun cream. (see below)
Never heard of the tattoo thing either but it does sound barbaric and I can't imgine how it would benefit apart from not being able to see the pink as it would not change the pigment of the skin ??

http://www.vetstop.com.au/shop/shopdisplaysearchproducts.asp?Search=Yes

I use this aussie site for a lot of stuff it is very cheap and reliable.

Aww! Bless. Being in the northern hemisphere that isnt so much of a problem for us of course- frost bite maybe! Our blenheim had a pink nose for ages and my husband wanted to colour it in with a felt tip pen- of course I made suggestions as to what he could do with the pen rather than deface my baby! I hope you sort your little guy out!

i think thats really cruel tattooing a dog, don't know how anyone could do such thing, the way they look is all part of being a cavalier or what ever breed the dog is, their wee distinguished markings is all part of them. Anybody that tattoo's their dog should be reported if you ask me.:mad:

Oops I am wrong -- according to that article it is painless but down without anaesthetic (!) -- maybe someone knows more about the process and can explain!

Nisha my link will take you to the store but for some reason not the product ?
If you type sunscreen in the search bar it will come up. The products is called sunstop.
Hope this helps

Back