• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about "healthy" treats

we luv lexi

just curious:
do any of you give ur cavs any supplements for heart or joint health knowing that this breed is prone to these problems?
i saw these treats that are made to be like a type of jerky but one is called HAPPY HIPS and the other is called HAPPY HEART (i put in the links if you want to read the descriptions)
http://www.fetchdog.com/shop/wellness-spa/dog-supplements/hip-joint-arthritis/W20011.
http://www.fetchdog.com/shop/wellness-spa/dog-supplements/dog-vitamins-daily-support/N10002
They both have omega-3 fatty acids and the joints treats has glucosamine and chondroitin added to them to promote joint flexibility.
you think it could do any harm giving this just preventively so that the chances of something happening are less?
also saw some tabs with these supplements to promote heart and joint health. maybe i can see not giving those since she's still a puppy but you think once she becomes an adult it would be a good idea?

People will have many different viewpoints. I wouldn't think whatever a treat is coated with would make much difference in terms of supplementation. This is a good website for reading up on nutrition/supplements and they have a good free newsletter too:

http://www.b-naturals.com/

If you want your puppy to have chondroitin or glucosamine in their diets, you can get a premium grade dog food like arden grange which has these supplements inbuilt.I'm sure there are other brands which do this as well.
If you want to give healthy treats, again these manufacturers do treats as well.This may be more cost effective than buying supplements separately.
Possibly the glucosamine and chondroitin can be beneficial in joint care, but I don't believe that supplements would do much for MVD.

Sins

I've started giving Holly the pegigree 'joint care' stick/chew as a healthy treat (BTW they are only 9p in Home bargains for us in the UK)

I don't know if it's a coincidence but she's seems much more sprightly even after 2 weeks on them?

do u think its a bad idea to give her any of these things as a puppy?
just to promote long-term joint health from an early age? or do u think she is still too young for any of this?

Glucosamine/Chondroitin should be fine for a puppy. No worries. Often when it's added to foods or treats it's in too low a dose to do any good. Some large breed puppy foods even add G/C in their foods. Something like CoQ10 should also be ok as it's an antioxidant and a pretty safe supplement (no toxic effects reported in humans).

They both have omega-3 fatty acids

I saw a program on TV this week that said there are two types of omega-3. One doesn't do anything and the other has not actually been proven to have any effect. They said you have to read the labels. I'm sorry I don't remember which is which!

Glucosamine/Chondroitin is great, I think we should all be on this supplement!

Back