• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

is this normal?

Mrs Crilly

Hi all

I have a 9 wk old male Cavalier. Ever since I have gotten him he has not done any solid poos. He has had his parvo and has been wormed. I got his first round of vaccinations 2 weeks ago, he is getting his second set this Saturday.

I am feeding him Red Mills Leader dry kibble which has water added to make it moist as he is still cutting his teeth. He drinks a good bit of water also.

He is very active and playfull so I am wondering how serious are these loose stools? There is no blood in them

Haven't got time this morning to write a long reply sorry (on my way out) but please get your puppy to a vet straight away. This can be serious.

when you say soft poo do you mean just soft or runny or fluid like ???

if its just soft i don;t see the need to worry its prob either done to the wornmer OR some puppy foods being high in protien ...is he a good / greedy eater ? this could be why

also at 9 weeks he won;t be yet cutting his teeth after all he has only just got them them this normally starts around 4 months

Its soft, sorry to sound crude but its like an ice cream that has melted in the snow except its brown!

God I know he is so young but he teeth are quite sharp already! My poor toes are not safe when he is around!

it sounds feeding related many pups that are greedy suffer from Mr Whippy poop ( SORRY )

his teeth are sharp becuase they come through that way its not that he is teething he already has then ....

good luck i think i might keep an eye on the amount your feeding and see if the poo firms up

thanks for that Inca I will keep monitoring the situation, he seems to prefer 4/5 small meals a day rather than one big meal, he will have bit, have a play and then go back for another little bit.

Yeah when i was feeding mine and they were puppies i would feed them 3 small meals a day, to me 4/5 small meals is a bit to much. I am with inca it sounds like the food might have to much protein in it, this happened with my first dog freddie and i had to bring him to the vets and he is now on Royal Canine and loving it!!!

hum will have a look at introducing that royal canine and see what its like, I only went out and bought a 4kg back of the red mills last week! I have tried the Pedigree Puppy pouches but he is not interested in them.

See how he gets on with red mills, he needs to stay on the same food for awhile but if u feel it is not agreeing with him change talk to ur vet about it!!

Wit fred i put him on pedigree puppy knibbles and it went straight through him as it was to strong for his little tummy!! I am sorry (for the way i explain it) but it is the same as if u eat a curry or something that does not agree with u.

PS i think we are going to need pictures soon!!!

hum will have a look at introducing that royal canine and see what its like, I only went out and bought a 4kg back of the red mills last week! I have tried the Pedigree Puppy pouches but he is not interested in them.

Hi Mrs. Crilly, we started off feeding Charlie on the food the breeder gave us but then switched to Red Mill. We bought the pedigree puppy pouches and mixed some of that with the Red Mill and that make his poo VERY runny so we stopped giving him that and we just stick with the Red Mill and give it to him twice a day and dry and he loves it. It's possible it could be the pedigree pouch causing his problem??

4kg Last Week .................................geeeeee Thats A Lot Of Food For A 9week Old Pup

I Think Thats Sure To Be A Problem

Hi Inca

It was the smallest size bag they had in the shop, next door have been thinking of getting a puppy so I told them they can have some food if they are stuck. He does not touch the pouches when I put them out so it will be the Red Mills if anything.

Anyway taking him to the vets tonight so hopefully we will find out whats wrong.

I still think it's best to see the vet soon as possible because, Dylan has been ill recently with diarrhoea that was only as soft as ice cream, not watery, and he had a bacteria in his stool called Campylobacter. It started on 19th December and he is still on antibiotics (even though stools are firm now). He had two lots of antibiotics, one to heal his insides (he only had two pin head size dots of blood), then when the test results came back, another antibiotic to kill the bacteria. He will have another stool sample sent to the lab a week after the meds are finished.

Hi Pauline

Strangely enough I have heard of the bacteria but only cos my friend is an enviromental health officer and she did her thesis on it for college! I thought it was to do with food hygiene. Did the vet know what caused it?

They said he could have picked it up anywhere. I am super fussy about hygiene in the house, even his dry food is stored in the larder which is colder than the fridge this time of year. So we will never know. I have read a human can be infected from contact with an infected animal stool so as dogs make contact with other dogs poos sometimes, maybe it was passed this way.

Hi Girls

I took Ted to the vet, he has a little stomach bug, apparently there is one going around at the moment! She gave him an injection to settle his tummy and some antibiotics for the next 5 days also. Phew panic over!!!

No but I actually had a sample in the kitchen and I forot to bring it with me, I explained the symptoms and that was enough, she had already had 3 dogs in with the same complaint from the area. Sure I am just thinking that Ted loves eating my runners, he must have picked it up from them, there are quite a few dogs on my road??

No but I actually had a sample in the kitchen and I forot to bring it with me, I explained the symptoms and that was enough, she had already had 3 dogs in with the same complaint from the area. Sure I am just thinking that Ted loves eating my runners, he must have picked it up from them, there are quite a few dogs on my road??

well as long as your satisfied with the diagnosis my vet just knows me too well to ever prescribe anti-biotics without a sample check if i were concerned
he says thats why he is a poor vet i reckon he's kidding me :)

hope all clears up soon

Back