• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Amber - Need advice

CavyMom

I just got home from taking Amber to a vet that's a ways away for me that I wanted to have do a physical on Amber. He always does very detailed exams, and I wanted to have him check out her ears and do a good all over physical just to be safe. He found a couple of things that I'm a bit concerned about.

1. He discovered a small lump in her abdomen that we're really puzzled by. He thought it felt like she was pregnant, but she was in heat last 3 month ago, so that's not possible, as she would have delivered by now. She hasn't shown any signs of being ill, she has a good appetite now, and plenty of energy. He's wondering if it's either a mummified fetus (wouldn't she re-absorb that? I know her last litter was born about 7-8 months ago now) or it's connected in some way to the inguinal hernia she has (she has a reducable hernia). He didn't seem to worried about it, but I'm very concerned now......He's 3 hrs away, but I'm wondering if I should make an appt ASAP with my regular vet to have that checked out again (he didn't notice it on the initial physical he did a month ago when I got Amber) and possibly removed and have the hernia fixed? Or should I just keep an eye on it? When I asked him about it, he said he was more concerned about the hernia then the lump.....but I was under the impression that in cavaliers, Hernias aren't normally a huge concern (keep in mind, where he's at, there's not a very many cavaliers, his office staff wheren't even sure what kind of spaniel she was until I told them!), am I wrong? Should I be more concerned about getting the hernia fixed?

2. He again cleaned ALOT of wax out of her left ear, which I'm baffled by, when I brought her home a month ago, I had my regular vet flush her ears really well, and we put her on Revolution to take care of an ear mite infestation she had at that time. I've cleaned her ears at least once a week since, her one ear was clean, the left ear he cleaned quite a bit of wax out of again, what could be causing her to produce so much wax? Could this be a sign of a bigger problem?

I was hoping this would clear up some things with Amber, but now I'm just more confused! I'm so in love with Amber I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to insure she remains in good health, but I also don't want to have to put her through any unnecessary surgery just because I'm panicking......

Lots of cavaliers have hernias but most of these are not a problem because they heal over by the time the dog is 6 months to a year (both my boys had them and they are gone). if she still has a visible hernia and if the hole can clearly be felt (most breeders say, if you can poke a finger into it) it needs to be surgically closed and is a risk for her so yes, she needs surgery if that is the case. Most vets do this when they spay or neuter. No idea about the lump. I'd ring the vet's office and ask for a longer explanation of why he thinks it doesn't need to be biopsied for example or surgically examined.

No idea why she is producing lots of wax. Usually earmites produce lots of gunk. She may just be one of the cavaliers more prone to ear problems. Again,this is a good question to ask a vet -- vets would have a better idea than most of us of why there might be problems as none of us on this board that I know of is a qualified vet. :) Excepting a tiny handful of health issues that are breed specific, most dogs are like any other dog and the health issues will be the same or at least will be the same across a very large subgroup such as brachycephalic (short nosed) breeds. All spaniels have deep ears and heavy ear flaps so they all have similar problems so your vet doesn;t need to know much about cavaliers.

The main things with cavaliers is early murmurs, SM, large platelets, curly coat syndrome, episodic falling. All the other issues are really shared with other large subgroups of dogs.

Thank you for your response Karlin. Amber turned 4 years in September, so she's well past the age it should have closed. I'll make an appt to get that repaired. I'm so new to cavaliers, I had a springer spaniel that I got out of a shelter when I was a teenager, and she ALWAYS had bad ear infections that where a nightmare to clean up! I'll just have to be more vigilant with Amber on keeping her ears clean. I'll also call the vet and get more details on why he wasn't concerned about that lump and why he didn't feel a biopsy was needed. Thanks!

If I was in your position I would have the lump further examined when they do the surgery for the hernia whether ultrasound, biopsy or even just thorough palpation whatever the vet recommends ?
As for the ears, one of my boys builds up wax quite quickly so I clean his ears with a good quality GENTLE ear soultion (clean ear by bayer) once a week, this prevents irritation and build up. Good luck with it all. :)

I'm going to talk to my regular vet about it, and if he'll do it for me (which I don't see why he wouldn't), I'll have an exploratory done at the same time she's already under anesthetic to have the hernia repaired and removed if feels it's needed. Amber means alot to me, I'm not a big fan of the "wait and see" method!

I'm going to talk to my regular vet about it, and if he'll do it for me (which I don't see why he wouldn't), I'll have an exploratory done at the same time she's already under anesthetic to have the hernia repaired and removed if feels it's needed. Amber means alot to me, I'm not a big fan of the "wait and see" method!
I'm no vet but thats sounds a good idea rather than to have to repeat exposure to aneasthesia(if I have spelt it right) a second time.
:xfngr:Amber is okay and its nothing to worry about. Big licks and hugs from the boys to Amber:paw: (they have a preference for b/t girlies :)

Back