• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear drops

lady and amber

I need some advise Lady has an ear infection and the vet prescribed some Canaural drops to treat it, the problem is that they are oil based and they have made the hair on her ears very greasy and they are matting up, does any one know how I can get it out of her hair or am I going to have to cut them short.
Lynne

I used a greyhound comb and a Furminator daily on the undersides of India's ears when she had oily drops, then Chocolate's breeder who grooms the cavaliers, cleaned them up afterwards at India's next grooming appointment.

Could you be using too much of it, or misapplying? I'm using Canaural at the moment and there's no reason for it to be getting over her ears, mind you Cody's an easy patient, I hope I never have to use it on Abigail because she's a wriggler:)

Try putting it in and putting a bit of cotton ball in after it to keep them initially from shaking it back out. You shouldn't have to cut ear hair -- it can get a bit messy but you can just wash it once the drops are gone, but keep it combed thru so it doesn't mat. Also be sure you aren't putting too much in, and that it isn't all immediately shaken back out.

Ellie had to have drops in her ears a while ago, and they were oil based. She is a nightmare when having drops put in :eek: and her fur on her ears is very long. I combed them every day with a wide tooth plastic comb and about a week after finishing the drops I bathed her.... I rubbed some of her shampoo into her hair and left in on for about 10 mins before I bathed her. I then shampooed her ears twice..... I am always careful to not get water in her ears when I bath her.... I cant get cotton wool to stay in her ears when she is bathed, because she shakes her head so hard that it comes out :mad:

Sorry I'm not able to give you any advice as :xfngr: we've never had an ear infection yet (touch wood and all that jazz)

Hope Lady's infection clears up soon:paw: and the advice above about the cotton wool is probably what I would do too.:)

Back