• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dry food advice?

Lilyput

I was hoping someone could recommend us a good high quality dry food available in Dublin area that we could start feeding to Lily? At the moment she eats Royal Canin sensitive veterinary kibble mixed with tinned food and almost every time she doesn't eat even half of her dinner. She has always been a bit fuzzy and suffered from a sensitive stomach when she was younger but she seems to be better now. We would like to find the next best thing for a completely fresh food diet and if possible, find a brand which also would be organic.

Royal Canin do a tinned prescription food for sensitive tummies which I got from my vet once. My dog loved this more than any food he has ever had. I can't tell you how much it cost though as I was give a weeks worth and it was added to my vet bill.

I feed my two Royal Canin Sensible (it has a westie on the front of the bag). Bella has quite a sensitive stomach but does ok on this. It looks pretty tasty as in it's moist and has a slight smell. My girls love it, although they love all food so that's not saying much :D. You can get RC in most pet shops.

I feed Royal Canin aswell, but I add some veggies (carrots or peas or green beans) or a spoonful of yogurt, or sardines. I tend to rotate these with their dry kibble and they love it:). I sometimes make up batches of homemade stew and freeze it (usually lamb with veggies) and rotate that too.

Unfortunately it´s very hard to get hands on really dog-food in Ireland :mad:
Brands like California Nutrual, Timberwolf etc. are not available at all. So I decided to get the monsters food by parcel via a friend of mine in Austria... This ist bloody expensive and often enough it takes the parcel 3 weeks or more to arrive...

The imho "best" dogfood available in Ireland is the "Burns"-Range. At least it´s free from soya, wheat and artificial flavours, colouring etc.

Have you ever considered BARF for Lily? Especially as she has a sensitive tummie - that might be the solution!!!!

You can get many excellent ones like Almo Nature by ordering from www.zooplus.ie -- and they deliver to your door for free if your order is over €39. I just ordered a bag of Origen to try for the boys and regular order one of the German brands of pure tripe, Rinti. Also theyhave great treats! Good prices too. Love the Germans. :) (it is a German company) They used to have Timberwolf but looks like they've dropped it. Orijen is a similar food.

The choice of dry food from Zooplus:

Dry Dog Food

Eukanuba
Hill's Nature's Best
Hill's Science Plan
Nutro
Orijen
Purina Pro Plan
Royal Canin Breed
Royal Canin Size

Almo Nature Holistic
Beneful
Bosch
Bozita
Defu Organic Dog Food
Dog Chow
Exclusion
Farm Food
Happy Dog
Markus Mühle
Mera Dog
Nutram
Nutrience
Pedigree
Premium
Reddy
Rinti
Yarrah

Karlin! Many hugs and kisses for posting this link :thnx: !

I didn´t reckon that Zooplus has an irish division now!!! It´s like christmas, easter and birthday at once!!! :rah:

Finally they get Rinti again! The pack will :luv: me for that!!!

Orijen

Hi
i have tried this it seems extemely well made just only sensible goodies but the girls are not really intrerested mainly i think because its a small kibble type food ,but today i received a parcel from zooplus with a load of wet called Terra Canis its quite fancy flavours (Turkey with oat flakes and dandelionfor ex) made in Bavaria just in a butchers shop but using meat suitable for human consumption ,so i thought in time if i mix some of that with some Orijen kibble and see what happens Now i feed them pedigree complete dry (kibble size is reasonable) mixed with a bit of ceasar wet and i buy a cooked chicken and cut pces of that off and occassionally small pces of cooked lambs liver.But i still think i can do better but i dont fancy doing a barth diet for them.Any suggestions please especially for a high quality complete with varied food in individual pces and in a large bite size kibble instead of all the small ubixitious food that all seems so similar in shape size smell and texture we get told that the basic ingredients of say burns and jwb are healthy holistic and full of all the necessary bits a dog needs but to the poor old dog it all looks the same and must be terribly boring

Barbara I thought that might make you happy. :) I even order my cat litter from them as they are the only place that has Nature's Best clumping natural litter. I LOVE Rinti tripe -- the only pure tripe I have found (well it is smelly and disgusting but the dogs love it and pure green tripe is loaded with healthy stuff for them).

I've also bought some of the other tinned foods as there are many that are all meat. Very good quality. My cats love the boxes of Bozita wet food from Sweden.

Brian I don;t think they care that much about size and shape of kibble (though maybe some do!). I usually feed Royal Canin or James Wellbeloved and Burns is really good too -- any good quality kibble -- but I like to mix with 'real' food or homecooked or quality tinned like the tripe. I rarely would give kibble on its own.

I feed royal canin and also top up with veg every other day.Carrots,green beans,peas,broccoli (thier favourite) and cauliflower.

Just wanted to jump in here again and say that Burns food didnt agree with Bella. She does well on RC so that's what I have stuck to although I am thinking of trying the higher quality Red Mills as it's Irish. You probably shouldn't buy a big bag of anything until you know she will be OK with it.

Must go and have a look on zooplus to see what I can buy....

Thanks to you all for great tips and thanks Karlin for the zooplus link, that is very handy! I am thinking of trying the Origen brand for Lily, lets hope she likes it!

Back