• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mia's size

ally

Was stopped outside shop by woman who asked me how old Mia was and what did I feed her as her 10 month old cav was much bigger. I feed Mia Royal Canin and she weighs 8kg and is 13 inches tall at 14 months. My friends cav was very large and developed lots of health problems and eventually died at 4. I know cavs can have heart problems and am carefull not to over feed her or give her junk. She feels ok to me and is not skinny, does her weight sound ok to more experienced cav owners?:confused:

8 kg at 14 months id not tiny at all, but common.She is just fine and I wouldn´t worry for a minute!
My ruby-bitch Elja is also 8 kg and she is 8 months and have had that weight for ca 2 months now.She is a very "massive" and strong looking girl with good muscletone and strong bones.

I forgot to post a pic....of my rather big girl :)

20080116162906_5.jpg

Molly weighs 8 kg, too, and she is 15 months old. The vet saw her just after Christmas, and he praised her weight and stature - she looks very much like Elja. I think other people some times are surprised that cavaliers are so tiny!

The 'correct' weight for any dog is whatever is a fit weight for that dog's size -- there should be a distinct waist and you should be able to easily feel the ribs without them sticking out.

You can see images of what a fit waist looks like by scrolling down this page:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Breed standard is 12-18 lbs (UK) or 13-18 lbs (US) but obviously a larger framed dog would be unhealthily skinny at breed standard. Oversized dogs are not uncommon. :) You sound like you will have a larger girl, whatever the size of the other cavalier!

This is the UK standard:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10137

Back