Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy and SM...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maneumann View Post
    Our breeder was also totally shocked and unaware of a history of SM in either the sire (one of the top dogs in the US show circuit) or bitch. And to her credit she has been so proactive - she not only paid for Jack's MRI, but she also had his mother MRIed and is now committed to doing that for all of her breeding stock. She also called all of the other families that adopted puppies from his litter.
    Sounds like a great breeder. As I stated above, my breeder had no idea of what I was talking about. I just don't know if there are any clean lines out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great breeder
    You really did get a good one!! I've heard of owners letting breeders know they have a problem and being asked to please not say anything to anyone like it might ruin their reputation. With all of the problems this breed has it would be unrealstic to expect a breeder to never have a single problem. But....I've heard this claim before.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

She has been great. But it was very hard on her, becuase people do "talk" and she told me that most breeders try to hide it. But if this genetic condition is going to be addressed and avoided, then people have to start fessing up becuase it does not seem like there are many/any "clean" lines. And if SM is getting worse as speculated with subsequent generations, then education is the best hope.
    Mary Ann (Jack Sprat's mom)

Post Thanks / Like

I have to put in a good word for our breeder as well. As soon as she learned of Bianca's diagnosis (although no history, as far as she knows, of SM in the sire and dam's pedigree as well), she was with us every step of the way. Although she didn't pay for Bianca's MRI (we told her we had health insurance), she's getting all stud dogs she's using MRi'ed. Luckily or not (depending how you think about it) Bianca's mum needed a C-section for her delivery, so she had been spayed anyway. All other owners were notified. Like you say, it is very hard with this 'stigma' so I have protected her name, though I feel she is a great person. She continually asks for updates on Bianca and has also offered to take her back and care for her (though we would NEVER have done that!)

So, though SM is a terrible problem, be heartened that people DO do the right thing out there....sometimes.
    Barkleigh Bianca’s mom and dad

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for those personal stories about such great breeders!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding collars...
    When Charlie was a pup, he would try to "sled dog" me when we did our walk. The Postman (a dog trainer) saw us walking down the street (with Charly pulling away) and he recommended that I try a different type of collar for walking. I'm not sure what the proper name for the collar is, but it is basically made up of linked "prongs". The prongs go inward, towards Charlies neck. Although it may appear brutal looking, it prevents Charlie from draging me and it keeps him from choking, as he did with his normal collar. I have used it since he was a pup and he runs to the door when I take it out (with his tail a wagging). Because the collar stopped Charlie from choking himself during his walks and he doesn't mind it at all, I still use it for our daily walks. Would you suggest that I replace this with a harness, or should I continue using it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rosewoodsteel; 12th February 2008 at 06:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh PLEASE DO NOT USE A PRONG COLLAR!

Please read the breed incidence of syringomyelia -- www.smcavalier.com -- and you will understand why no one with a cavalier should be sticking anything deliberately into the necks of this breed! Several neurologists say the breed shouldn't ever be walked on a normal collars because of the risk of inducing or worsening syrinxes! A prong collar is another order of magnitude of potential damage!

And those collars DO hurt. Have someone put it on your arm and jerk it tight and you will see. These should never be needed with a gentle breed like a cavalier. And think about it -- would you want that jerked into your neck?

If you want a humane no-pull harness, please try the Sense-ible harness. It totally stops all pulling -- I use them with two of my dogs.

http://www.softouchconcepts.com/prod...e_harness.html
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Karlin.
    Although I would never think about jerking the collar (and never have), I want what is best for Charlie. We love him dearly and would never do anything to intentionally harm him.
    Actually, after reading about collars and SM, it made me much more concerned about putting Charlie on his run (dog trolley). We attach the lead to his regular collar when we do this. (We use the dog trolley when he needs to go out for a short period.)
    He is usually happy just be outside for a few minutes, smelling things and going about his business, but
    if he sees a squirrel he takes off at a quick pace and stops when the lead "runs out".
    When this happens, he comes to a very quick stop. If he had a harness, based on what I have just learned, I think it would be much safer for him. Would a harness that attaches to his front (such as the Sense-ible harness) work in this situation? I'd like to get a harness that I could use for the dog trolley as well as his walks (if I can).

I am thankful that I found this wonderful group of people here.
    Until I read this thread, I had no idea that collars were bad for Cavaliers.
    I will be picking up a harness, this weekend.

-Sorry to take the subject away from Andy.
    I hope everything is OK with the little guy.
    Last edited by Rosewoodsteel; 16th February 2008 at 04:15 PM.