Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would a pup hold its head on one side?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why would a pup hold its head on one side?

I was wondering if anyone knew why a cav pup would hold her head to one side? She seems a normal, happy, waggy pup otherwise and doesn't appear to be in any pain. Any ideas? She is 14 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Always to the side, occasionally to the side. Has the dog been injured, run into anything or anyone. Sustained any kind of head trauma at all. Has the pup always done this.

Ear infections or mites are a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure Sandy as she is a rescue pup just handed in by the breeder presumably because she can't be sold. It seems to be pretty constant. Someone suggested she may be deaf as deaf dogs do this. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you startle her. If you drop a pot and she is in another room does she hear it? Tho, part of me would really hate to scare a pup, especially a rescue. But that was how I knew my 7 year old was having some hearing loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If she has a head tilt she needs to be seen by a vet. A number of things can cause this. SM is one of them but unlikely in a pup this young.

Also:

Head Tilt
    Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Q. Is head tilt something serious?

A.
    There are a number of reasons a dog may have a head tilt. Dogs with a head tilt may also experience a loss of balance, or walk in a circle. In general, head tilt is caused by an abnormality of the vestibular system, which includes portions of the inner ear, nerves, and brain which help the body maintain balance. The most common cause of head tilt is a middle or inner ear infection, or an infection or inflammation of the brain. Other causes include, hypothyroidism, injury to nerves, cancer, toxic side effects of certain antibiotics, and congenital defects. Some older dogs develop a temporary head tilt from an unknown cause. This is sometimes called 'old dog vestibular disease.' Until your veterinarian determines otherwise, head tilt should be considered a sign of a serious disease, and veterinary attention should be sought as soon as possible.
    And also: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/head-ti...gns/page1.aspx
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thans everyone. Hopefully it will just be an ear infection and not something more serious. She will be seeing a vet tomorrow. x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW I have never met a deaf dog that holds its head to one side, including my own! Maybe some cock their head to try and read what people are doing thru their actions but they wouldn't tilt it as a matter of course as far as I know or have seen.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Could being deaf in one year make her tilt her head? I would guess an ear problem.
    Mom to Maverick (3-18-07)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It could also be PSOM - a CT scan or MRI would be needed to diagnose it, though.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How did you get on Theresa? How is the little one?
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)