• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why would a pup hold its head on one side?

Theresa

I was wondering if anyone knew why a cav pup would hold her head to one side? She seems a normal, happy, waggy pup otherwise and doesn't appear to be in any pain. Any ideas? She is 14 weeks.

Always to the side, occasionally to the side. Has the dog been injured, run into anything or anyone. Sustained any kind of head trauma at all. Has the pup always done this.

Ear infections or mites are a possibility.

I'm not sure Sandy as she is a rescue pup just handed in by the breeder presumably because she can't be sold. It seems to be pretty constant. Someone suggested she may be deaf as deaf dogs do this. What do you think?

Can you startle her. If you drop a pot and she is in another room does she hear it? Tho, part of me would really hate to scare a pup, especially a rescue. But that was how I knew my 7 year old was having some hearing loss.

If she has a head tilt she needs to be seen by a vet. A number of things can cause this. SM is one of them but unlikely in a pup this young.

Also:

Head Tilt
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Q. Is head tilt something serious?

A.
There are a number of reasons a dog may have a head tilt. Dogs with a head tilt may also experience a loss of balance, or walk in a circle. In general, head tilt is caused by an abnormality of the vestibular system, which includes portions of the inner ear, nerves, and brain which help the body maintain balance. The most common cause of head tilt is a middle or inner ear infection, or an infection or inflammation of the brain. Other causes include, hypothyroidism, injury to nerves, cancer, toxic side effects of certain antibiotics, and congenital defects. Some older dogs develop a temporary head tilt from an unknown cause. This is sometimes called 'old dog vestibular disease.' Until your veterinarian determines otherwise, head tilt should be considered a sign of a serious disease, and veterinary attention should be sought as soon as possible.

And also: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/head-tilt-in-dogs-vestibular-signs/page1.aspx

Thans everyone. Hopefully it will just be an ear infection and not something more serious. She will be seeing a vet tomorrow. x

BTW I have never met a deaf dog that holds its head to one side, including my own! :) Maybe some cock their head to try and read what people are doing thru their actions but they wouldn't tilt it as a matter of course as far as I know or have seen.

Is this the Many Tears pup, Theresa?

If it is, she is just adorable and I would adopt her in a flash if I didn't have a houseful already. Bless her heart.

Yes she is the many tears pup. She has been adopted by one of the volunteers but I think he is very brave as the cause is still not known. Hopefully she will not end up costing him a fortune!!!

awwww, that is great news :).

Must admit I have a great weakness for the 'special needs' ones .... now, someone stop me looking at that darling cocker at M/T.

Do you mean the 6 week old? He is so cute, I could eat him!!!
We foster for Many Tears so we get to love all these lovely dogs for free!!!

Theresa, it could also be a burst ear drum - I have heard of other Cavalier puppies wtih this probelm and they tilted their head like that.

Back