Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pup is throwing up!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My pup is throwing up!

Ok, yesterday we switched the boys to a dry dog food (Nature's Variety Lamb and Brown Rice). We were feeding them canned Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe and some pumpkin. They seemed to love it yesterday afternoon..they gobbled it right up and seemed fine all night and this morning..I took them out to do their "business" and brought them back in to eat. I made their bowls just like last night with a little pumpkin mixed in and I turned around for a second and I saw Bailey eating something off the floor of his crate, knowing that I didn't put his food on the floor of his crate I went back to investigate. I'm guessing it was throw up, yuck! I cleaned it up and gave him his bowl outside of his crate and he ate a few bites...same thing with Dudley. We were sitting on the couch a minute ago and Bailey throws up again. The throwup looks just like their food just crumbled up...do you think it was too much for their system to handle and it's just not taking to it well or do you think it's more serious? I've contacted my breeder to see what she thinks but I would love ya'lls input. Thanks!
    April, Bailey and Dudley

Post Thanks / Like

Did you slowly transition over to the new food? It should take a pup a week to 10 days to change foods.
    day 1 10% new
    day 2 20% new
    day 3 30% new
    day 4 40% new etc...

Post Thanks / Like

I told my husband that we needed to do it slowly but he told me i didn't know what i was talking about and to just give them the dry food....I added the pumpkin without him knowing....What should I do now?

Post Thanks / Like

My adult dogs can transition much faster. But I change foods often (every couple of months). I would want to see IF they can eat something and keep it down. I would feed a small amount (old food and new food). If they were fed canned and didn't need to 'chew' they may have swallowed their dry without much chewing. fwiw, It sounds like they aren't ill-- but if in doubt, I'd call your vet.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Bailey and Dudley were playing a little while ago like normal...Dudley hasn't thrown up but Bailey did earlier. I think I'm going to try to feed them later on today with a mix of the old and new food and see how it goes. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Ok, Just fed them a little of their tripe, some pumpkin and a small amount of kibble...Dudley ate all of his but Bailey ate around the kibble and just ate the soft food...What do I need to do? Will he eventually get used to it or is it a lost cause? Help!

Post Thanks / Like

He will not starve himself. He will eventually get used to it. BE STRONG!!!
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

so should I just add a little more kibble to their food tomorrow or keep his at the mix i have now until he will eat it all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven View Post
    Did you slowly transition over to the new food? It should take a pup a week to 10 days to change foods.
    day 1 10% new
    day 2 20% new
    day 3 30% new
    day 4 40% new etc...
    I would think you would need to go back to the old food and start this routine as Sandy has suggested if they are still reacting to the change so badly. Your breeder should have mentioned this if you had made her/him aware that you planned on changing foods.

I'm no expert but I have found that gradual changes in diet have worked fine for both of mine with no adverse effects.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm living with a man that thinks that they should just eat the kibble plain and a breeder who keeps telling me to just give them the kibble plain because they need to start eating it... I was planning on doing the mix this morning but my husband, who amazingly knows more about animals than I do, just gave them kibble and said that if they don't eat all of it to then give them the tripe and pumpkin. I'm really annoyed because I was the one having to worry and take care of the pups yesterday..I'm not annoyed at the pups in the slightest but the people around me making sure I don't do what I've been told just ticks me off!! Should I give them some tripe now that my husband has taken away their kibble and they hardly ate any or just wait for their next feeding to give them some food???