• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My pup is throwing up!

wildandcrazyguys

Ok, yesterday we switched the boys to a dry dog food (Nature's Variety Lamb and Brown Rice). We were feeding them canned Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe and some pumpkin. They seemed to love it yesterday afternoon..they gobbled it right up and seemed fine all night and this morning..I took them out to do their "business" and brought them back in to eat. I made their bowls just like last night with a little pumpkin mixed in and I turned around for a second and I saw Bailey eating something off the floor of his crate, knowing that I didn't put his food on the floor of his crate I went back to investigate. I'm guessing it was throw up, yuck! I cleaned it up and gave him his bowl outside of his crate and he ate a few bites...same thing with Dudley. We were sitting on the couch a minute ago and Bailey throws up again. The throwup looks just like their food just crumbled up...do you think it was too much for their system to handle and it's just not taking to it well or do you think it's more serious? I've contacted my breeder to see what she thinks but I would love ya'lls input. Thanks!
April, Bailey and Dudley

Did you slowly transition over to the new food? It should take a pup a week to 10 days to change foods.
day 1 10% new
day 2 20% new
day 3 30% new
day 4 40% new etc...

I told my husband that we needed to do it slowly but he told me i didn't know what i was talking about and to just give them the dry food....I added the pumpkin without him knowing....What should I do now?

My adult dogs can transition much faster. But I change foods often (every couple of months). I would want to see IF they can eat something and keep it down. I would feed a small amount (old food and new food). If they were fed canned and didn't need to 'chew' they may have swallowed their dry without much chewing. fwiw, It sounds like they aren't ill-- but if in doubt, I'd call your vet.

Well, Bailey and Dudley were playing a little while ago like normal...Dudley hasn't thrown up but Bailey did earlier. I think I'm going to try to feed them later on today with a mix of the old and new food and see how it goes. Thanks!!

Ok, Just fed them a little of their tripe, some pumpkin and a small amount of kibble...Dudley ate all of his but Bailey ate around the kibble and just ate the soft food...What do I need to do? Will he eventually get used to it or is it a lost cause? Help!

so should I just add a little more kibble to their food tomorrow or keep his at the mix i have now until he will eat it all?

Did you slowly transition over to the new food? It should take a pup a week to 10 days to change foods.
day 1 10% new
day 2 20% new
day 3 30% new
day 4 40% new etc...

I would think you would need to go back to the old food and start this routine as Sandy has suggested if they are still reacting to the change so badly. Your breeder should have mentioned this if you had made her/him aware that you planned on changing foods.

I'm no expert but I have found that gradual changes in diet have worked fine for both of mine with no adverse effects.

Well, I'm living with a man that thinks that they should just eat the kibble plain and a breeder who keeps telling me to just give them the kibble plain because they need to start eating it... I was planning on doing the mix this morning but my husband, who amazingly knows more about animals than I do, just gave them kibble and said that if they don't eat all of it to then give them the tripe and pumpkin. I'm really annoyed because I was the one having to worry and take care of the pups yesterday..I'm not annoyed at the pups in the slightest but the people around me making sure I don't do what I've been told just ticks me off!!:mad::mad: Should I give them some tripe now that my husband has taken away their kibble and they hardly ate any or just wait for their next feeding to give them some food???

I would leave it until next feeding time they may be more hungry then, give them a mix of old and a small bit of new kibble and a litle tripe on top as a taster.

The next meal, mix in a little more of the new kibble and put a little tripe on top as a taster.

Oakley will eat kibble plain but Merlin has to have something - even if its only a teaspoon of something mixed in.

Can I ask if your husband has had dogs before? Is it you that is cleaning up the sick?

Last edited:
He's had dogs but they were all outside "mutts". I finally got him to read the post about how to feed them and he apologized for not listening to me. :rah: The boys hadn't eaten but maybe 2 or 3 kibbles from the bowls so I mixed up some tripe and pumpkin and added about 20% kibble and they ate it all up! Yay! I'm just going to keep adding a little more kibble each day and see how it goes. Thank you so much for your help!! I'll keep you posted on how they do. THANKS AGAIN!!!
April, Bailey and Dudley

Good idea to follow Sandy's advice. :) You will start having **MAJOR** feeding problems if you give them one thing and if they don't eat it, give them another, so prepare the bowls at the start and do not take them up to add this or that in after the fact. If they don't eat their food, remove it and that's that til the next meal, NO EXCEPTIONS.

You do need to get your dogs on something besides tinned tripe though. Most tripe is a supplement to a diet not something to be fed as a daily meal. What was the breeder feeding? Did she not have them on kibble when they were homed to you? What does she recommend now? If so I'd put them back on that kibble and then transistion to the new one if you have any more problems. I rarely feed only kibble though -- I almost always mix other things in when I do give kibble. But soft food only is going to cause them teeth and gum problems.

General feeding advice is this: Leave down 10 minutes. If they don;t eat it then lift without comment and put away til next feeding. NO TREATS IN BETWEEN. Do NOT turn mealtimes into a social interaction session where their fussiness is REWARDED by your extra attention -- eg with you fussing over them and adding things to their bowls when they stall on eating and praising them, talking to them, anything at all. Just make up the bowls, food down, 10 minutes, food removed. Meals are an easy manipulation point for dogs and they can learn very quickly that all sorts of rewards come to them by refusing to at. Frustrated owners immediately shower the dog with attention rather than ignoring the behaviour and setting strict and clear guidelines:eat or go hungry til your decide to eat and stop faffing around. Only the tiniest percentage of dogs truly dislike anything so much that they will not eat it at all! Isn't it curious that they will refuse something in their food bowl and then eat eat trash off the street, or anything that falls on the floor in the house in a nanosecond (including the shunned kibble...)? That's because they quickly learn the tradeoff to being stubborn at meals is quite a handy way to get lots and lots of attention. In the same way, many of us know our dogs start to bark and fuss as soon as we are on the the phone -- they quickly learn when we hold that thing to our head we will ALWYS give them attention if they bark, to try and get them to stop! They are smart little things!

If you are feeding more than one dog it might be adviseable to feed in their crates if you start to have any issues with them fighting, guarding, or one trying to eat the others' food.

The throwing up could be due to many things and may well have nothing to do with changing food. Puppies (and dogs) sometimes just vomit. I have never had dogs vomit up food after changing but some may well do that. I feed my dogs different things almost every day so personally would side with your husband that just changing over usually isn't an issue. I never did the slow changeover but at the same time this sometimes does work better with some dogs especially puppies. BTW if your dog continues to vomit for more than 24-36 hours, be sure to get him to a vet. (y)

. I feed my dogs different things almost every day so personally would side with your husband that just changing over usually isn't an issue. I never did the slow changeover but at the same time this sometimes does work better with some dogs especially puppies. BTW if your dog continues to vomit for more than 24-36 hours, be sure to get him to a vet. (y)

if its any help - I did the slow changeover because Merlin has a very sensitive tummy - I suspect i could change Oakley's everyday as he seems to have a tummy made of iron.

When we first got them they were just starting to eat kibble and it was the kind that we have now but we ran out and we had to order it off the internet and something happened to my order and it didn't go through. So they were without kibble for a couple of weeks. I talked to my breeder and she said to feed them the tripe until the kibble came in. Dudley took to the food super easy but I think it just upset Bailey's stomach. After feeding them this morning neither one has vomitted so that's great!! I just think it was a little too much for his system. I have one big crate that's divided into 2 sections and that's where they are fed. They had also just gotten over a stomach bug, do you think that may have been a factor?

They did great with this meal too. I'm guessing it was just too quick of a change. Bailey is eating all of the kibble and loving it. Thank you for all of your help!!

Back