Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain+Holly=weeing indoors! Anyone else have this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rain+Holly=weeing indoors! Anyone else have this problem?

Hi all (Holly says hi too!

I have a bit of a problem and wondered how common it was!?

Holly doesn't like the rain. She refuses to go out into the garden for a wee/poo whens it's raining. If i open the door she runs in the opposite direction and hides under the dining room table. I have physically put her outside, think she has done something and i let me back in. As soon as i turn my back she will wee (not poo) on the carpet, I'm happy for accidents to occur but this is increasing!

I am aware some dogs dont like to poo in the garden and need to 'walk' in order to go to the toilet and Holly is one of them but when it's raining she will not go out and if i put her lead on and try and take her for a walk she won't go!

Anyone else have this problem or any solutions!!

x
    Holly -Blenheim two and a half

3 ginger toms - Zippy Noah and Alfie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hi, I don't think any Cavalier likes going outside to wee/poo in the rain. That said, I found the best way around this problem is to go outside with them and stay out there for as long as it takes. When they eventually do their business give them lots of praise and a treat. Eventually they just dash outside , relieve themselves and dash back in again.

My two are in the process of being trained to actually ASK to go outside so I know how difficult all this stuff is. I feel so bad because I have them a year now and we are still trying to learn basic training but they are getting better all the time.

Good luck with it ...
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire L View Post
    Hi, I don't think any Cavalier likes going outside to wee/poo in the rain. That said, I found the best way around this problem is to go outside with them and stay out there for as long as it takes. When they eventually do their business give them lots of praise and a treat. Eventually they just dash outside , relieve themselves and dash back in again.

My two are in the process of being trained to actually ASK to go outside so I know how difficult all this stuff is. I feel so bad because I have them a year now and we are still trying to learn basic training but they are getting better all the time.

Good luck with it ...
    Holly's brilliant at asking to go to the toilet!

It's just the rain, she will hold and hold. I will try your advice and go out with her

Post Thanks / Like

I had the exact same thing when Daisy was younger. She not only didn't want to go out in the rain (she's still reluctant), she also would not go out when the grass was wet. My only practical solution was to put my shoes/coat, etc. on, pick her up and carry her out to the middle of the yard and put her down (when I knew she needed to go out). So at least she had to walk through some of the grass on her way back to the door to go inside. She often decided that since she was already in the wet grass, much to her dismay, she may as well potty on the way back. But sometimes that didn't work. It was very frustrating.

She has gotten a lot better, thank goodness. So I'm sure Hollie will eventually get better, too. Rewarding the potty with a very desirable treat does help. Now if we are in a hurry or it's raining outside, I say "Daisy -- Go Potty Get Treats" and she dashes outside, squats, and runs right back in for the treat. She's such a food hound, though that I have to SHOW her the desirable treat before she will do that. I guess she's a skeptic. One would think that I said "Treats" before and then reneged, but I never have.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m having the same problem with my two just lately, when I open the back door they charge to it then do an emergency stop on the door step been coming down in the morning to the odd wet spots on the kitchen floor,

Post Thanks / Like

yep Harry hates the rain and looks at me as if i'm stupid for even thinking he'd go out in the rain, i have to force him outside so he won't poop/pee in the house!!

Heidi doesn't care she just likes to run about lol
    Heather, proud to be owned by Harry & Heidi

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* Here too. In fact, I've just cleared up a puddle after narrowly avoiding stepping in it.... 'Emergency stop' describes it rather well.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

oohhh i'm glad it's not just me!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollyandmel View Post
    oohhh i'm glad it's not just me!!
    You are definitely not alone! My two have point blank refused to go out for a pee this morning and its not even raining - I got the "but the grounds wet mummy" look
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Woody has an aversion to going outside but at least he goes out wees and poos as quickly as possible and back in - record breaker. Have you though going outside with her on a lead and hold an umbrella over her? Might work.