• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rain+Holly=weeing indoors! Anyone else have this problem?

hollyandmel

Hi all (Holly says hi too!:)

I have a bit of a problem and wondered how common it was!?

Holly doesn't like the rain. She refuses to go out into the garden for a wee/poo whens it's raining. If i open the door she runs in the opposite direction and hides under the dining room table. I have physically put her outside, think she has done something and i let me back in. As soon as i turn my back she will wee (not poo) on the carpet, I'm happy for accidents to occur but this is increasing!

I am aware some dogs dont like to poo in the garden and need to 'walk' in order to go to the toilet and Holly is one of them but when it's raining she will not go out and if i put her lead on and try and take her for a walk she won't go!:dogwlk:

Anyone else have this problem or any solutions!!

x

Hi, I don't think any Cavalier likes going outside to wee/poo in the rain. That said, I found the best way around this problem is to go outside with them and stay out there for as long as it takes. When they eventually do their business give them lots of praise and a treat. Eventually they just dash outside , relieve themselves and dash back in again.

My two are in the process of being trained to actually ASK to go outside so I know how difficult all this stuff is. I feel so bad because I have them a year now and we are still trying to learn basic training but they are getting better all the time.

Good luck with it ...

Hi, I don't think any Cavalier likes going outside to wee/poo in the rain. That said, I found the best way around this problem is to go outside with them and stay out there for as long as it takes. When they eventually do their business give them lots of praise and a treat. Eventually they just dash outside , relieve themselves and dash back in again.

My two are in the process of being trained to actually ASK to go outside so I know how difficult all this stuff is. I feel so bad because I have them a year now and we are still trying to learn basic training but they are getting better all the time.

Good luck with it ...

Holly's brilliant at asking to go to the toilet!

It's just the rain, she will hold and hold. I will try your advice and go out with her :eek:

I had the exact same thing when Daisy was younger. She not only didn't want to go out in the rain (she's still reluctant), she also would not go out when the grass was wet. My only practical solution was to put my shoes/coat, etc. on, pick her up and carry her out to the middle of the yard and put her down (when I knew she needed to go out). So at least she had to walk through some of the grass on her way back to the door to go inside. She often decided that since she was already in the wet grass, much to her dismay, she may as well potty on the way back. But sometimes that didn't work. It was very frustrating.

She has gotten a lot better, thank goodness. So I'm sure Hollie will eventually get better, too. Rewarding the potty with a very desirable treat does help. Now if we are in a hurry or it's raining outside, I say "Daisy -- Go Potty Get Treats" and she dashes outside, squats, and runs right back in for the treat. She's such a food hound, though that I have to SHOW her the desirable treat before she will do that. I guess she's a skeptic. One would think that I said "Treats" before and then reneged, but I never have.

I`m having the same problem with my two just lately, when I open the back door they charge to it then do an emergency stop on the door step been coming down in the morning to the odd wet spots on the kitchen floor,

yep Harry hates the rain and looks at me as if i'm stupid for even thinking he'd go out in the rain, i have to force him outside so he won't poop/pee in the house!!

Heidi doesn't care she just likes to run about lol

*sigh* Here too. In fact, I've just cleared up a puddle after narrowly avoiding stepping in it.... 'Emergency stop' describes it rather well.

Woody has an aversion to going outside but at least he goes out wees and poos as quickly as possible and back in - record breaker. Have you though going outside with her on a lead and hold an umbrella over her? Might work.

Ours don't like the rain either.

Outside our back door we have rigged up a covered area so that they can stay out of the worst of it.

Guinness would completely turn about if he knew it was raining.
All of our dogs ask to go out - and if they have asked then they WILL be going out - no about turns Guinny!!! Sometimes I have to drag them out, sometimes I will stay under the covered area to supervise.

Guinness will not poop out our back garden.
If we have to its all raincoats on and out for a quick walk. This has helped as it is only their heads that they get the discomfort from.

The amazing thing is that Guinness can hold and hold - he is on water tablets so pees more than before. We can tell that we must take him out when he blows up like a balloon.

Raining at the mo.
Looks like raincoats all round lads!!

Getting my coat!!

Ours don't like the rain either.

Outside our back door we have rigged up a covered area so that they can stay out of the worst of it.

Guinness would completely turn about if he knew it was raining.
All of our dogs ask to go out - and if they have asked then they WILL be going out - no about turns Guinny!!! Sometimes I have to drag them out, sometimes I will stay under the covered area to supervise.

Guinness will not poop out our back garden.
If we have to its all raincoats on and out for a quick walk. This has helped as it is only their heads that they get the discomfort from.

The amazing thing is that Guinness can hold and hold - he is on water tablets so pees more than before. We can tell that we must take him out when he blows up like a balloon.

Raining at the mo.
Looks like raincoats all round lads!!

Getting my coat!!

Us too! peeing for england it is here!

More Rain

Hi
How do you manage with this amount of rain ,if the girls pop out to go to the loo they come in dripping wet thats if they go out at all, then muddy paws and prints all over the place ,then half the time they kid you they have been outside till you find a puddle (or even worse) that you promptly walk through.Poppys not to bad she knows what to do and where but then shes 17 months ,Daisy being Daisy the last week its been 50/50 and just now i have paddled through somebodys wee you have to follow them around eveywhere while Rosie being six months shes still learning the ropes , i wish they would all settle down for a snooze , now Ami the cat has just got up.I wish it was summer.

Having laminate floors so its easy to clean, I also got from crufts last year some yellow cloths to wipe the dogs down with they are pretty amazing how much water they absorb, they are a bit like a shammy leather but cloth, and leather sofas so that they can be wiped clean, that's how I cope.

use wee wee pads!!

best wee wee pads - target recycleable ones in brown box i sorry i dont have the full name as i am biz traveling at a motel right now =(

those are great.
my dog been use that for his entire life ( well except 1-8 weeks ) and he is 2.5. we just lay the paper on patio and he will go pee pee and poo poo.
a lot of dogs hate to get their paws wet..

there was lightening one time when he was a puppy..we couldn't find him for the longest time. he was hiding in the shower...saddest thing ive ever seen!!
but yea. Ever since then we've desensitized him thru different type of sound and noise. he is still uneasy about shooting games thou. go up stairs to nap or when go in his crate whenever bf plays his ps3. (good news for me. bf will stop playing when i yell " honey the puppy dog is scared~~~")

Mine hated the rain from the start and still does really but he now knows he has no option so he doesn't make a fuss anymore. I just took him out, and stayed out until he went. He didn't get to come inside before he did what he needed to. It didn't take him that long to get the message so he learned to hurry up after he got soaking wet a few times cause there's nothing he dislikes more than getting wet.

Back