• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Humping post neutering!!

Theresa

I know this has been covered before and I have read most of the posts. We are taking in a male cav to foster (age 5 - ex puppy farm stud)tomorrow who has started humping everything in site since being neutered!! But I have a question - why would he start this now? how does one distract the humping doggie??? And how long can this behaviour be expected to last? Thanks T x

I had a foster who was a major humper....we referred to him as "no no Rusty" :) After a few verbal corrections all I had to do was start to correct him and he would stop. I had him for 3 weeks and by the time he went to his new home he no longer had a problem.

How along ago was he neutered? I believe it can take up to 6 weeks for his hormones to calm down.

well i had harry done 18 months ago and since we got Heidi he tries to hump her any chance he gets lol

i thought having him "done" would stop this

I have two intact males, they both used to hump Simba the lion (one of their largest toys). They've stopped doing that now and just hump each other!

No really, its seems to be a morning thing, when they get up they do this stupid dance together and try and use their heads to push the other one down so they can "get in the position". We just say "No Oakley" or "No Merlin" (depending on who is the giddiest) in a firm voice and they both stop. Personally (not trying to go into too much detailicon_blshing) I think its just a morning male thing.........

Any time of day here, for Joly, but Teddy mounts Monty when he knows it's my bedtime. Joly's grandfather was castrated, but carried on mounting his owner's bitches, whether in season or not.

Females also mount (my Lily is a divil for throw pillows). It isn't necessarily a sexual behaviour nor tied to castration. Also it can take about two months post-neuter for males to lose the testosterone that drives some humping behaviour. It stops humping in about 60-70% of cases of it being a sexual thing but dogs hump for other reasons. Training is the main aspect of controlling the behaviour. :) There are some articles on mounting in the Library section.

My sisters dog humps her cav so much on walks that he faints !
Neutering him made no difference to his behaviour at all , he still humps & fights.

I know I shouldn't be bothered cos its normal doggie behaviour... but I find it kind of gross!! :rolleyes:

We have 3 cavs in the family and no humpers, they did it for about 6- 12 months on and off when babies but were distracted where possible with a toy or command and seem to of stopped all together after 12 months of age.

You know Theresa, I found it gross too! Luckily Brett stopped that behavior.

I remember the first time he mounted Lucky. It was the second day we had him. I was in shock when I saw what he was doing. Lucky threw him off and he fell into a pile of my clothes and just continued humping the pile of clothes. I was like, "Oh no! I'm not ready for a boy doggy." Haha... After a few days of Brett humping Lucky, I saw Lucky get on top of Brett and give him a good humping. Ever since that day... there has been no more humping! So I guess Lucky taught him a lesson.

I heard it can be a dominance thing. And I think that in my case, that is what it was.

It sounds like in your case it WAS a dominance thing!! :p This doggie has just been neutered though after spending his whole life as a stud dog. My friend has seen him and says it's not as bad as it has been made out to be. I pick him up tomorrow. :xfngr:

Do you think our early experiences as girls (with boys) maybe colour how we feel about these things? I still find it gross but maybe that's my catholic up-bringing..... (no offence to any catholic cavvie lovers!!) xx

Cessa humps (and she's a she). We're pretty sure that it's a dominance thing since she humps at my husband but not me, and I'm the "top dog" as far as she's concerned--I do more of the training and grooming and my husband does more of the cuddling and playing. She just started a few weeks ago as she started showing the early signs for going into heat.

He's getting her to stop by pulling her off and saying no and walking away when she starts--hopefully she'll get the message soon.

I don't find it gross, just sort of embarrassing.

Poppy
Has tried getting friendly with a large fluffy toy banana whilst Daisys taken a fancy to a soft toy hedgehog ,i wonder what they think when they look at them.Theres quite a few stuffed toy dogs i have had to put away for safe keeping but a banana beats me , any ideas anybody ?. Oh both girls were spayed last Oct ,so its not a problem just amusing except when i buy play things for them i then have to give it a bit more thought or try to visualise items through Poppys eyes.

Ha ha this post is sooo funny :)

I remember seeing Harvey's full man hood during a teddy humping session and I was so horrified.

We threw the toy and it stopped and didn't get replaced. We have now got Bella much to his delight and he enjoyed trying to mount her for all of 24 hours. She then mounted him and does it on a daily basis. It's definately a dominance issue with them. Unfortunately for Harvey it may only get worse after Friday when he gets snipped he may get even more humping from Bella when they are back together. Hope it doesn't do him too much psychological damage!!

Hi
I wonder why Pops is tring to domianate a yellow banana ,oh well must be a reason somewhere.?

So after all that worrying I went to pick up the male tri colour cav today and he hasn't tried to hump ANYTHING at all!!! Typical, what a waste of good worrying!! Mind you he has only been here a few hours!! The thing is, having seen him, I wouldn't mind if he did hump something (although I'd still rather it wasn't me!) :p

We are fostering him but he is sooooo cute!! I'm thinking are 3 dogs too many???? It's only a small terraced house...but he's quite little! Help!

Back