• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where would you prefer to die?

simonrickell

We love our Guinness. He has a very bad murmer, and on the common heart tablets.

My wife and I have agreed that if he gets really bad, we will not rush to the vets. In the past we have had emergency visits to the vets surgery in the middle of the night.

Tarmac died at the vets at 3am in Oct 2005. He was not on treatment for his heart but suddenly had breathing problems. After the vet had given him an xray - he suggested getting him onto heart meds as he also had fluid on his lungs. He gave him a tablet, and an injection. We put him onto the floor, so Guinness could see him. within minutes he collapsed and died.

I would rather be able to say goodbye to our pal in the comfort of our own home, than in the cold vets surgery. We have already told him that he can go when he wants. Several times I have woken and the first thing I have done is to check if he is still breathing.

I think that if could talk, he would prefer to be at home too. Don't you?

Definitely Simon - so sorry you are facing this worry with Guinness.

When it was Peaches' time, we asked the vet to come to our house. We put the other dogs in the car, and she left us, lying on my lap with my husband feeding her prawns - her most favourite thing. It was very peaceful. We then gave the other dogs the opportunity to say goodbye.

if possible, I would always do the same for all my dogs - it was much less stressful for everyone.

I completely agree with you. WHen I started looking for the vet I have now, I found one who does house calls, is VERY compassionate to my animals, and who I feel I can trust completely. Both of my babies are still quite young, but I find comfort in the thought that when "that day" comes, they will be able to rest at home in peace. If I were them, that's what I would want. :flwr:

You are very lucky to have lovely vets who do house calls. I am so sorry you are facing this again and it is lovely that you are considering the best situation for your furbaby.

When my daughters rats had to be pts we were at the vets and my daughter fed them chocolate as they were injected. I don't think it would have been any better at home. They were on their favorite blanket and we were there stroking them. Of course they are only rats and my dogs would be different. I think it CAN be just as gentle in the surgery if it is planned well. Bless you both x

I've only had one dog put to sleep at home & it was awful.
My own vet would not come out so I used a different practice & he made a mess of it.

In future I think I will ask for them to be put to sleep in the car outside the vet ( our ruby cav was put to sleep in the car) At least then they have nurses , other vets & equipment nearby if needed & the dog is still in a "happy place "

Not knowing when the vet would arrive at the house was horrible too.

The best PTS I have witnessed was my sisters Bullmastiff at the vets. With her being a big dog they had to give her two injections & after the first she started snoring so it really was just like she had gone to sleep.

Our last two Blenheim cavs died at home by themselves with someone sat with them which is the ideal

Last edited:
I am sorry you are going through this. I guess the main things are you don't want to see your dog suffer so you don't want a long drawn out process, if decided home is the way to go have a vet on call who does this in the home so they can make things as peaceful as possible, the other thing is how do you manage after, without wanting to be too dramatic if I was to have this done at home with a loved one when it came time for them to leave the house after the fact and go in the car I wouldn't want to part and then I think how would I feel about that spot in the house forever more ? I guess as I said in an earlier post there is no right or wrong in this situation what ever makes you feel the most comfortable.

I would like mine to pass on at home, where they are comfortable. Our vets Uncle Ian and Aunty Hilary have both come to my mums when the time has come for her goldens. We have used this vet surgery for coming up 30 years, they have been thorough and compassionate with all our dogs and us.

My vet came at an arranged time - so we knew what was happening and already had the other dogs in teh car.

I must admit, we put her in a small bed on the floor with a blanket, and afterwards I had to give both the bed and the blanket to a rescue, didn't want them in the house. Also gave them her coat and collar - they were very grateful.

Everyone is different - it's what suits you, but I think not everyone is aware that most vets will come out to the house.

Thank you for bringing this up. Now I know what to do and it is good to make a plan. I'm really sorry you are going through this but am really glad you have thought this through and know what to do. I think in the end that will be good for you too.

Guinness would like me to clarify,that he is doing fine at the moment.:dogwlk:

Mum & Dad are just planning for when it comes.

My Tommy has a bad murmour now too and has just started Heart meds, they graded him a 4 and he has enlarged heart with heavy breathing most of the time. Not sure how long he will go one like this, he will be 8 in July but I too have thought the same. Home for him if we have to make the decision - good luck to you too

Glad to read that Guinness is doing fine :lotsaluv: When our Rudee's time came, I had asked the Vet to come to the house but that particular morning he was really really busy. He organised it so that I carried my little girl straight in to him without having say a word to anyone.She was wrapped in her favourite duvet so she wasn't on a cold table or huddled in my arms. My hubby and I stayed with her and I held her chin in the palm of my hand and kissed her head as she gently fell asleep. I'm glad now that the Vet was too busy that morning to make a house call because I honestly don't think that I would have been able to let him take her from the house.

We have her ashes in a little wooden casket with her picture on the front and her collar is inside. I always told people that I would wait for a really sunny day and scatter her ashes in her favourite pool at the beach when there are lots of little shrimp swimming around ; Rudee LOVED fishing and spent the entire summer trying to catch shrimp and never did. Somehow, I just can't bear to let her go, so, for the moment, her ashes will stay at home here with us.

Back