Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to rest?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where to rest?

I had always thought that we would scatter our dog's ashes in one of his favourite places.

When it came to it, Shirley, could not bear to part with Tarmac's casket.
    It has a proud place in our cabinet, with his collar laid on it. And comes out on certain days.

What do you do?
    Simon and Shirley
    Guinness (12yr Tri) - Willow (2 1/2yr Ruby) - Bailey (1 3/4yr Blein) -Tarmac (departed B&T was 10yr)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our caskets are on top of the dresser in the bedroom, together with a photo of each of the girls, Fillipa's favourite toy, and a vase with silk sweet peas.

Eventually when we go, we want to all be scattered together.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have caskets , All my dogs are in labled velvet bags ( one is in a raffia packet) in a decorated biscuit tin in the cupboard.

I don't particularly like keeping their ashes but I dont want to get rid of them either.
    I originally intended to bury the ashes in the garden but my mother made a fuss about me disturbing her flowers ......

Post Thanks / Like

I think that time is needed for your wife and different things appeal to different people there is not a right and wrong answer or solution for this. If however it bothers you to keep them maybe have a gentle talk about it and try the dreaded negotation.

I have never known a love like I have with my two boys and when I started thinking about the fact that they are not immortal I really struggled for a number of months about how and if I would cope when that time comes, I wasted months on tears and was not really enjoying the here and now. Then one day it came to me the only way I would get threw the process was to plan the end (i know it sounds terrible) I have now firmly decided I will have the boys ashes in my casket when I go or be scattered all together somewhere earthy, as the dogs love the soft earth to dig, eat and in general get mucky in.

for you all.
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvzcavs View Post

I have never known a love like I have with my two boys and when I started thinking about the fact that they are not immortal I really struggled for a number of months about how and if I would cope when that time comes, I wasted months on tears and was not really enjoying the here and now.

for you all.
    I am feeling like that at the moment , my boy is the love of my life & I can't bare the thought of him not being here. He has had a lot of surgery over the last year ( 10 anisthetics in 18 months with more to follow) I'm finding it very hard just to get on with it & enjoy him while he is here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When mine go to the bridge ( thats a LONG time away) I will keep their caskets to buried/cremated with me as they are the love of my lives.

We have all the goldens we grew up with on in the dining room at my mums. They will be buried/cremated with my mum.

AT - I'm sorry you are so down at present, you are doing your best for your little one - enjoy him now so you have good memories - thats what he wants you to do
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

When Izzy died, I had him cremated, but didnt want a casket, as that seemed a bit morbid. Like Angela, I don't particularly want his ashes, but don't want to part either, so , at the moment, he is still in my car's glove compartment (he liked the car). I'd like to save up all my dogs and take them with me, but then there's the guilt that some were left at the vets (when cremation wasn't as popular/affordable) and some may outlive me, so all won't be treated alike.

I had wondered about what to do when Izzy's time came (and he was pts at the vets), as the large local crematorium is actually used by all local vets and the lady told me that the process, except for return of ashes and individual attention, is the same (full respect and scattering -no use by industry, as some have suggested). So should I invest in a personal service, when the money could benefit another animal ?

Izzy died at home,and at a weekend, so I used a small local, which is a lot cheaper, too, and probably will now, as long as the man (older than me) keeps his operation going. The problem is that they give individual attention, because they are limited, by new laws, on how many cremations they can do, but if the law clamps down even more, they may have to close.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have buried my dogs in the back yard. I couldn't bear the thought of their bodies going into the landfill and I didn't want their ashes hanging around the house. They were big dogs though, as Sunshine is my first cavalier, and I believe digging a hole for sunshine will be much easier than for my labrador or rottweiler. When she dies she will find a lovely spot in the earth behind our house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Nixon View Post

I had wondered about what to do when Izzy's time came (and he was pts at the vets), as the large local crematorium is actually used by all local vets and the lady told me that the process, except for return of ashes and individual attention, is the same (full respect and scattering -no use by industry, as some have suggested). So should I invest in a personal service, when the money could benefit another animal ?

Izzy died at home,and at a weekend, so I used a small local, which is a lot cheaper, too, and probably will now, as long as the man (older than me) keeps his operation going. The problem is that they give individual attention, because they are limited, by new laws, on how many cremations they can do, but if the law clamps down even more, they may have to close.

I use a small pet crematorium too , she is very nice , comes to the house to collect them then brings them back & has cavaliers herself .
    Its awful but I use them so often that I get a discount......

I have also thought its a lot of money that could be spent on something better but I can't bring myself to leave them at the vets ( I was sat outside the vets when the council ? van came & saw them throwing cat shaped yellow bags in the back .......)

My friend buried her cat in the local woods but admitted it looked a bit strange walking about at 2am with a shovel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinekisses View Post
    I have buried my dogs in the back yard.
    I'm not sure if environmental health would be very happy with this.
    Simon and Shirley
    Guinness (12yr Tri) - Willow (2 1/2yr Ruby) - Bailey (1 3/4yr Blein) -Tarmac (departed B&T was 10yr)