• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pee bath

Hi all, I am at a loss!! Lance is peeing all over himself and I dont know how to teach him how to pee the right way. Lance, is only 9 mo. old, male and does not lift his leg...yet. Every time he pees (and this is no exaggeration :eek:) it goes all over his chest and front leg's. So the question is, how do I teach him to pee the right way without peeing all over himself? Any suggestions, please help!

I have the same problem with Cooper.He's almost two.He lifts his leg and still soaks himself every time he pees.I put him in the sink and wash him off.He's always shivering from being wet.You would think he would figure it out.

It is not something you can really teach, I guess to get technical on the matter make sure his hair at the tip is kept a little longer this acts like a spout for the urine to run down. Check the end of his penis and make sure all looks normal and other than that maybe keep some cleaning wipes on hand. Proper doggy ones not human ones. They are not that expensive and would save the effort of a bath too often which will have its downside for both of you. Good luck with it, I have 2, 5 year old males and occasionally one of them will still make a mess on his tummy so it may not get much better (sorry to be the voice of doom).

"He's always shivering from being wet.You would think he would figure it out." .... Michael, I hope you are joking, as if not that is not good :mad:

I guess to get technical on the matter make sure his hair at the tip is kept a little longer this acts like a spout for the urine to run down.

I thought this too, but Oakley's "spout" was just retaining pee and making him smell more. I have cut the spout off and he is peeing on his legs much less and smells much better :)

Dylan only wees on his front leg when he cocks his leg so I have actually managed to teach him to squat again. He would sometimes squat so I gave him lots of praise for this and say uh uh when I know he is about to lift a leg. Thank goodness he learns quick, it was driving me crazy. When we are out and about though, he likes to mark and he will get a little on his legs, it stinks because he isn't neutered. :grnyuk: I am going to get him done one day.

You can trim the tummy hair, get someone to hold him and trim off everything that looks a little yellow!!

Last edited:
Well...this is frustrating !!! I was hoping that once he lifts his leg this would end, or at least minimize the soaking...
Lance's daddy is now talking about getting him a "rain coat". He iis searching on the net and has found nothing that would protect both his chest/tummy and complete legs....any ideas?
Thanks all for the replies..Its seems that Lance is destined for constant baths

When he was younger I had the problem of Barney smelling horrible, I cut his little palm tree off (the hair on the end of the penis) and we have not been bothered by the smell of wee anymore. Hope you get sorted.

This is a small breed with a long coat -- hence it is difficult for a lot of males to NOT pee on their belly hair or front legs. The good news is that at 9 months you have a dog barely into puberty and very possibly he will lift his leg higher as he gets a little older. But many male cavaliers will always pee on legs/belly, especially the smaller guys. I find most females tend to drag the hair on their hind legs in urine as well when they squat and for some reason people notice this less though it is just as smelly! Lily tends to be the stinkiest of my four.

In this case your options are:

1) just rinse the dog's lower parts with fresh water and dry him off maybe daily or every few days

2) trim the offending hair off -- no feathering on front legs and short hair on lower chest and belly

3) buy a 'pee coat' the dog wears on walks (show breeders use these to keep males clean before showing but you risk being seen as a bit of a weirdo in the neighbourhood! They look kind of odd. :lol:)

4) accept that you have a male and this is often part of the package and clean as needed. (y)

Leo pees on his front feathering and belly hair all the time. I just give his front legs an occasional rinse or take them all to the sea or the park where there's a creek and the smell rinses right off after a brief wading about. I keep his side hair on his belly a little bit shorter in the areas that sometimes catches the urine.

PS I find my friends and relatives with babies and toddlers have a lot more stink about the house than a bit of pee on dog legs... :cool:

3) buy a 'pee coat' the dog wears on walks (show breeders use these to keep males clean before showing but you risk being seen as a bit of a weirdo in the neighbourhood! They look kind of odd. :lol:)

oh my.....why does such a great idea have to look so strange. pet-wise, you can get away with a LOT in my neighborhood (i've seen people walking around with chihuahuas strapped their chests like babies) but the p-wraps with chaps????? i'm just not that brave :lol:

http://www.thesnoodfactory.com/p-wraps2.html

My sister did buy a pee coat for Lucky.

I haven't used it yet ... because of the "wierdo in the neighborhood" factor. :lol:

That said, he does get a sanitary clip and his hair on his belly is kept shirt ... and I wipe his paws with a wet cloth after most walks, but most importantly after his last walk of the night (since he sleeps on my bed!)

i see what you guys mean lol.i doubt id have the guts to take joey for a walk in them (maybe with out the chaps ) but maybe out in the garden. lol.

i find it much less hassle just to get joeys bits trimmed short and if a good groomer does it you cant even tell.

Back