• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier mix?

CavyMom

I'm not sure if I believe the shelter, but I was just sent an SOS from a rescue group chain I belong to that several dogs needed a place ASAP, the shelter is over run with dogs with no outlet of places to send them. I was asked to take in Jazzy, they're claiming she's a cavalier/poodle mix, what do you think? Either way, I'll probably take her in and get her a good home, but I don't see any cavalier..... http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10042490

true, she does have that sweet cavalier look in her eyes! I think when I can actually see her I'll notice more cavalier in her - I just talked to them, and she was actually an owner surrender with "papers" proving she's a "purebred" cavapoo :( So sadly, they do know the mix! Nothing makes me more upset then these stupid mills and BYBs that come up with registries to register mutts and mixes :(

So much for me being an IG rescue LOL I've got all but one of my adoptable IGs placed, and I've got a cocker, this little cavalier mix, and a special needs chihuahua coming in LOL What can I say - When there's no IGs that need help, I can't resist spreading myself out to help other dogs in need! I can't wait to get Jazzy and the cocker here, both look like they're in horrible need of grooming!

I'd say that is probably the mix going by coat and ears, and faint blenheim mask, with poodle-ish muzzle and eyes (eyes look poodle-y to me at least! :lol:). Wouldn't be my cup of tea but hope the little one finds a home -- there's usually an interest in this type of cross so I don't think it will be hard.

Mixes though can be very hard to judge unless you know the breeds. I have posted before, the siblings from a single litter and one looked exactly like a lab while the other two looked like giant terriers and they were Kerry Blue/lab crosses. I've seen 'purebreds' with papers that are clearly mixes, and known mixes that look little like neither parent breed, or look just like a third breed! Often you can see some likely telltale signs of a breed but you just never know. If they are not positive on the origin of this one it could be a variety of mixes. :p

I'd say that is probably the mix going by coat and ears, and faint blenheim mask, with poodle-ish muzzle and eyes (eyes look poodle-y to me at least! :lol:). Wouldn't be my cup of tea but hope the little one finds a home -- there's usually an interest in this type of cross so I don't think it will be hard.

Mixes though can be very hard to judge unless you know the breeds. I have posted before, the siblings from a single litter and one looked exactly like a lab while the other two looked like giant terriers and they were Kerry Blue/lab crosses. I've seen 'purebreds' with papers that are clearly mixes, and known mixes that look little like neither parent breed, or look just like a third breed! Often you can see some likely telltale signs of a breed but you just never know. If they are not positive on the origin of this one it could be a variety of mixes. :p
I've seen that quite often, I've had a few "purebred" Italian Greyhounds that I know had terrier mixed in, and a few claimed to be IGs that are obviously rat terrier mixes!

I don't think Jazzy will be to hard, I always have people that know I'll take in other breeds asking me about small spaniel mixes or poodle mixes, and actually have a few people on a waiting list that might be interested in him, so one way or another, I'm sure he'll get a good home!!!

CavyMom, you're my hero (as well as Karlin and all the other rescue people on this board)! I think it's great that you rescue all these dogs who would otherwise be PTS. I do little things here and there for Lucky Star, but I would like to foster and rescue on a regular basis. However, since I work full time, have two young kids, and a husband who is not as into all of this as I am (He loves dogs, but he's infinitely practical above all else. He's a great guy, but he leads with his head, and I definitely lead with my heart.), it is hard to do all the hands-on things with rescue that I would like. I would love to do some more fostering this summer when I'm off work. I hope I'm contacted if needed.

Anyway, you go girl! And I definitely see the Cavy in that cute little girl. To me, it's the ears and the eyes. I think she's really lovable and pretty. Good luck with her and to her! If I lived nearer to you, I'd volunteer to take her off your hands!

Actually, he's a boy LOL But that's okay, he's a cuttie anyway! I true to do as much as I can, I've had some very special shelter dogs that have changed me forever, I won't normally take anything but an Italian Greyhound on an owner surrender basis, but out of the shelters, when I have room, I'll take what ever needs my help! I think Jazzy is a doll, he should go quickly!!!! But I'll admit, it does help that my boss is understanding about my rescue, and knows sometimes my dogs come first! It also helps that I'm not married, I have nobody to worry about but myself, and I've run up debt doing rescue many times, and often wonder how I'll keep up with the cost, but it's well worth it when you see these dogs being loved and charished in their forever homes

LOL Well, I must admit, he doesn't look very masculine LOL Don't tell him that, I'll have to come up with a tougher name LOL

Well I picked him up today, he does look more cavalier then I originally thought, but he has CURLS LOL Not real tight like a poodle, but I think he's going to loose them all when I get him groomed, he's horribly matted :( Poor little guy!!!

I see it in him, I guess it is the eyes and ears really, Either way he is very beautiful and I wish you lots of luck with him I know he will be very happy in the time he spends with you, One thing I would wonder If I ever got a cavalier cross is which breed it would act like and health wise too, it would be very interesting to spend time with him and see, I love cavaliers so much and I am sure he has lots of cuddles in him, Wish I could take him on, Its a long walk to the UK! Sending a cuddle his way take care xxx

Bitsa`s more often than not have the BEST temperament.Who cares if hes full pedigree - not me!

A dog is a dog,forgive me if I ruffle a few feathers.:roll:

Back