Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! Advice needed please!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are probably right Karlin. I have spoken to the rescue and we are going to find an experienced cavvie owner who is home all day. I am still going to take him to the cardiologist tomorrow, even though I am not keeping him, so that we have a better understanding of his condition. Also so that he can get started on some medications to make him feel more comfortable. His breathing is not too bad (though he does snore!) but occasionally it becomes very rapid and I think he may be flipping into atrial fibrillation at these times. I would absoloutely feel dreadful if something happened to him while I was at work so I know this is the right decision (though I am crying as I write this!)

When I am retired I will have a thousand rescued cavvies!!!

By the way, the social thing is not an issue as I'm 35 (done it!) and I am a single mother to a 14 yr old daughter! So, like most mothers, I don't have a social life!! I just talk to you lot instead!!!
    You know, every now and then a post really gets to me. This is one of them. You are brave and caring beyond words.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

This post really got to me too.....judy and dixie

Post Thanks / Like

Bless your heart Theresa...and it's a mighty big one to bless. I think Karlin's voice of reason really makes sense and am so glad you are seeing that. I know that if it were only a big loving heart he needed you would be perfect for him. It's good to know that you are helping out though and will be working with his care in the meantime.

When I am retired I will have a thousand rescued cavvies!!!
    And I have no doubt you will make a huge difference to many dogs in the future!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your kind words. This would be so much easier if cavvies weren't so beautiful and so sweet!!

We have just got back from the cardiologist. Max's heart murmur is a grade 6 with a palpable fluid thrill present. He is in grade 1 heart failure (out of 3 - 3 is the worst - in case it's a different system in the US). But luckily his chest is clear. So he is on the cusp. Without medication he would only live about 6 months but with it he may have 3 or 4 years. So he has started on triple therapy of enalapril, vetmedin and spironolactone. The medication was £40 for a month (though it is probably cheaper online), so this is something else for his adopter to consider. Also I have decided to feed him proper meat for the higher protein content so we are off to the butchers in a minute to buy some steak!! He deserves it, poor lamb. (I might get some for me and my daughter too!!).

Afterwards I took my dogs around a country park near the vets and carried Max. But he wanted to get down with the others so I let him have a 5 minute walk then another carry for a bit then another tiny walk. He seemed to really enjoy it for the first time and it was so sweet how he came to me to be picked up when he'd had enough. Now he is on medication he is allowed to go for walks again (thank goodness cos he is heavy!) so we will be starting short walks to the beach - little and often!

Now he is snoring in his bed all curled up. So far he has cost me £200 since Monday!! Of course I don't begrudge him a penny, but it is a bit bad that the rescue would have rehomed him and this could have been a terrible shock to his new owner. Especially if they had had no idea he was ill. Luckily, they are employing their own vet soon, so this shouldn't happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Theresa~

Your story really touched me and I think you are very brave and strong. I will think of Max as you begin to help him out. Sometimes I really want to be apart of the Cav rescue, but don't know how I'd handle it if anything was really wrong with one of the little guys. We all become so attached. I think Max is really lucky to have you as his mom. You're doing so much for him and he'll always appreciate you.
    Kristen and Mystic Knight Prince Wrigley

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps, Many tears will sponsor his drugs for someone willing to adopt Max; some of the cavalier rescue branches do. He is actually listed , on DP,as being homechecked)

Are enalapril and spironalactone the equivalents of Fortekor ( benazepril hydrochloride) and Frusicare (frusimide) respectively? If not, what is the difference in the way they act ?

I've only used Vetmedin, Fortekor and Frusicare/Frusimide, which are widely prescribed and so available at many of the good online pharmacies. The two you mention are not listed on the sites I've visited or used.

I find that Vetuk can be slightly cheaper so use the 5% of your best price offer from Petmeds.
    Last edited by Barbara Nixon; 26th January 2008 at 01:11 PM.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Barbara, enalapril and benzapril are both ACE inhibiters. Fruesemide and spironolactone are both diuretics. I looked at both sites and there are some differences in price as you say. At the moment the rescue is trying to set up its own vet surgery as they have lost their sponsorship from the dogs trust for spaying. So they need to say a lot of money. I don't mind the money and I don't like to ask as they are so short at the moment.

He has had several people apply and the rescue and I are looking to see if any are suitable (and of course if they still would like to have him with the new info.

Meanwhile he continues to improve every day. He is stronger today and walked all the way round the block (albeit slowly!). The change since he started meds is amazing!! I offered to write him a new report stating the sort of home we were looking for and why but apparently the rescue are reluctant to advertise him on the site with the new info as people will phone saying he should be put down!!! Apparently, they can be quite agressive about this to the rescue staff.

Luckily for him, there are those of us who think he is worth £30 a month!!

Post Thanks / Like

Vetmedin does seem to act very quickly. I wonder why your vet chose the more unusual variations on the dieretic and ace inhibitors.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile he continues to improve every day.
    Thats great news
    I offered to write him a new report stating the sort of home we were looking for and why but apparently the rescue are reluctant to advertise him on the site with the new info as people will phone saying he should be put down!!! Apparently, they can be quite agressive about this to the rescue staff.
    Thats awful!

Luckily for him, there are those of us who think he is worth £30 a month!!
    he finds a new loving forever home soon and continues to improve in his health.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Theresa for taking him in and doing all in ur power to have him as healthy as u can for his new family. Not many people would fork out this amount of money for a dog that isnt theres. Ur a angel.