Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrigley and his love affair with Kleenex

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrigley and his love affair with Kleenex

Hi, all!

Wrigley has a love affair with Kleenex. He hunts for it, sticks his head deep inside the wastebasket looking for it, devours it, and I think, even enjoys pooping it out (as if to say, "Mama, I've been sneaky!!!!")

I would say this happens about once-twice a week (if I'm not as diligent about emptying the cans) or once a month (if I'm having a good month cleaning!!!) He hasn't had any issues with getting sick because of it and always just poops it out.

I mentioned this to my friend at work and she said that when she told her vet about it (her dog does it, too) he said that the dog may be missing some sort of vitamin and isn't getting it in his/her food. Her dog now takes some kind of vitamins and hasn't touched a kleenex since! Does this sound possible???? Are kleenexes attractive because they provide something a dog isn't getting from his dog food? I did notice after talking to her about it that Wrigley started doing this WAY more often when we switched his dog food to Innova in August. Any thoughts or experience with this???
    Kristen and Mystic Knight Prince Wrigley

Post Thanks / Like

One of ours has a thing for toilet paper. I picked up a well chewed whole roll out of the yard when I left for work tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Molly loves paper - of any kind, but she will also hunt tissues if we are not careful. It's pretty gross but I've never heard that it's because of a lack of vitamins.
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

My dog just eats it for sport, I guess it's there and it's edible and digestible so down it goes! I have no idea what the attraction is......
    I guess that's why the Andrex puppy isn't a cavalier

Post Thanks / Like

Bella loves cardboard. I cant have a box anywhere near her if i want it to remain one one piece. I dont let her near the tissues but she does try to get them out of my hands all the time...

Post Thanks / Like

A member of another forum, used to post about her relative's cavalier, whom she looked after during the day. Abbey was similarly obssessed with Kleenex and any food she could steal.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as missing some sort of vitamin, if you are feeding a good quality food, I doubt that is it. At least not that I've ever heard of. It sounds like you are talking about "second hand" Kleenex? I suspect he is just being a typical dog who, for whatever reason, has decided he likes Kleenex. Sometimes our dogs are so cute we forget they are still dogs and will sometimes do things that are not exactly to our liking. We found out long ago that we can't have any trash cans out in our house where the dogs can get at them; and they don't limit their theivery to Kleenex!

In our house it's our cat Buck that pulls Kleenex out of the box; drives me crazy, but not many places you can put stuff that a cat can't get to. But he leaves Kleenex in the trash alone; figure that one out!

I'll ask Kris about this when I get home. Or maybe Wrigley just takes after his mother
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Molly loves all paper too... kleenex, toilet paper, magazines, cardboard boxes. Mostly she eats it, but sometimes she just likes to shred it all up and leave a mess on the floor for me to clean!

-laura
    Adoring mom to Molly (tri), 11/29/06

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I catch Armani with kleenix or paper, I tell him to leave it but most of the time he swallows it before I can grab it out of his mouth
    I bought two covered wastebaskets for our bathrooms. Made a world of difference, I didn't have to worry whether the doors were shut everyday. He only grabbed the TP once, so hopefully that won't be a problem.
    Idette along w/Armani (Tri) & Tracer - (MS), Goldie & Blackie - kitties

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah....I just thought it was a "dog" thing to do! The girl at my school brought up an interesting point, but what vitamin could a dog get from KLEENEX that isn't in quality dog food? I might have to reconsider when listening to her advice next time

Bruce...I wonder if Star enjoys Kleenex as much as her son, Wrigley!!!!!
    Kristen and Mystic Knight Prince Wrigley