• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wrigley and his love affair with Kleenex

Wrigs Mom

Hi, all!

Wrigley has a love affair with Kleenex. He hunts for it, sticks his head deep inside the wastebasket looking for it, devours it, and I think, even enjoys pooping it out (as if to say, "Mama, I've been sneaky!!!!")

I would say this happens about once-twice a week (if I'm not as diligent about emptying the cans) or once a month (if I'm having a good month cleaning!!!) He hasn't had any issues with getting sick because of it and always just poops it out.

I mentioned this to my friend at work and she said that when she told her vet about it (her dog does it, too) he said that the dog may be missing some sort of vitamin and isn't getting it in his/her food. Her dog now takes some kind of vitamins and hasn't touched a kleenex since! Does this sound possible???? Are kleenexes attractive because they provide something a dog isn't getting from his dog food? I did notice after talking to her about it that Wrigley started doing this WAY more often when we switched his dog food to Innova in August. Any thoughts or experience with this???

One of ours has a thing for toilet paper. I picked up a well chewed whole roll out of the yard when I left for work tonight. :mad:

Molly loves paper - of any kind, but she will also hunt tissues if we are not careful. It's pretty gross :yuk: but I've never heard that it's because of a lack of vitamins.

My dog just eats it for sport, I guess it's there and it's edible and digestible so down it goes! I have no idea what the attraction is......
I guess that's why the Andrex puppy isn't a cavalier

Bella loves cardboard. I cant have a box anywhere near her if i want it to remain one one piece. I dont let her near the tissues but she does try to get them out of my hands all the time...

A member of another forum, used to post about her relative's cavalier, whom she looked after during the day. Abbey was similarly obssessed with Kleenex and any food she could steal.

As far as missing some sort of vitamin, if you are feeding a good quality food, I doubt that is it. At least not that I've ever heard of. It sounds like you are talking about "second hand" Kleenex? I suspect he is just being a typical dog who, for whatever reason, has decided he likes Kleenex. Sometimes our dogs are so cute we forget they are still dogs and will sometimes do things that are not exactly to our liking. We found out long ago that we can't have any trash cans out in our house where the dogs can get at them; and they don't limit their theivery to Kleenex!

In our house it's our cat Buck that pulls Kleenex out of the box; drives me crazy, but not many places you can put stuff that a cat can't get to. But he leaves Kleenex in the trash alone; figure that one out!

I'll ask Kris about this when I get home. Or maybe Wrigley just takes after his mother :roll:

Molly loves all paper too... kleenex, toilet paper, magazines, cardboard boxes. Mostly she eats it, but sometimes she just likes to shred it all up and leave a mess on the floor for me to clean!

-laura

Whenever I catch Armani with kleenix or paper, I tell him to leave it but most of the time he swallows it before I can grab it out of his mouth :mad:
I bought two covered wastebaskets for our bathrooms. Made a world of difference, I didn't have to worry whether the doors were shut everyday. He only grabbed the TP once, so hopefully that won't be a problem. ;)

Yeah....I just thought it was a "dog" thing to do! The girl at my school brought up an interesting point, but what vitamin could a dog get from KLEENEX that isn't in quality dog food? I might have to reconsider when listening to her advice next time :)

Bruce...I wonder if Star enjoys Kleenex as much as her son, Wrigley!!!!!

I've been meaning to ask about this for ages, I have wondered if the tissues could be harmful as my boys eat probably 1 -2 a week clean or used they are not fussy. They will even pick my pocket if I have tissues in there, and they are very good at it.
Digby has spent a long time developing his craft, if I have clothes on the floor with a tissue in the pocket but he can't get to the pocket as the clothes are inside out or whatever he will just lick and lick the pocket and I end up with soggy pockets. It cracks me up :)

Merlin thinks he is the andrex puppy! If the loo roll has rolled too much and hangs on the floor he will prompty grap it and drag it out of the bathroom, along the hall and into the bedroom - and then start to eat it. Oakley just looks at him as if he's gone mad!

Can't tell him off though because we are too busy laughing ( I know it will encourage him to do it more - it only loo roll after all :))

Merlin thinks he is the andrex puppy! If the loo roll has rolled too much and hangs on the floor he will prompty grap it and drag it out of the bathroom, along the hall and into the bedroom - and then start to eat it. Oakley just looks at him as if he's gone mad!

Can't tell him off though because we are too busy laughing ( I know it will encourage him to do it more - it only loo roll after all :))

Pippin does this too and Gus looks at him like he's mad!

Merlin's is definitely attention seeking as he knows it ends up with the "chase round the bed game" - burns up lots of calories I can tell you:wggle:

Back