Thread: Best time to spay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best time to spay

Hi,sorry I know this has probably been asked but I've been through posts and can't find what I'm looking for! Ruby came into season on the 28th December and finished approx 18th January.Do i book her in for her op 3 months from the start or 3 months from the finish.This does make a difference as we go on holiday so if it is 3 months from finish date that will make it much easier all round (it would be around the 23rd April) Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes it's difficult to know. We had booked Hermie in for spaying just under four months after the start of her first season but she came again into season just then! We were expecting 6-7 months between the seasons.
    Eeva
    and Maija and Hermione

Post Thanks / Like

I would go 3 months off of the day she ended personally Every dog is different, but generally 6-7 months is a good rule of thumb, although I have one bitch that only goes 4 1/2 - 5 months between heats.
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It doesn't need to be exact; most vets prefer to wait til at least 2 months after. Anytime after that is really OK; ideally in between the cycles which usually comes every 8 months or so. A month later won't matter much.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com