• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Taste of the Wild dog food

Daisy's Mom

Anyone else out there look at the "Taste of the Wild" dog food? It is new, and the ingredients look VERY good to me. It's too new to have been considered by the Whole Dog Journal dog food evaluations.

Here are the ingredients of the Salmon formula:

Ingredients
Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I actually bought this version for Daisy, and wonder of wonders! She actually likes it! She eats it right up. It is the only dog food of the MANY I've tried since we got her that she will eat (besides the Purina Pro Plan Natural Selects, which she ate at the breeder's). It looks really good. My only reservation is that it is from Diamond Pet Foods, which was involved in the recalls last year. In the Whole Dog Journal, they said not to put too much weight on that, as the copacker will put the exact ingredients in the dog food that is specified by the brand marketer, including the sourcing of those ingredients. Still makes me a little hesitant, though.

This brand looks very good -- it's grain free and has none of the "bad" ingredients that you should avoid ("animal fat" among many others.) Animal fat was perhaps the only one that seemed to cause Daisy's former food to be excluded from WDJ's list -- the 6th or so ingredient was animal fat. It seems to meet all the other criteria, as far as I can tell.

The lowest calorie variety was the salmon, which is why I bought that one for Daisy, who needs to lose a few pounds.

Anyway, I've been reading good things about it on the internet, and the ingredients look good, and Daisy likes it, so so far, I'm sold. I'm interested in hearing others' opinons here, though.

Both of my dogs are on Taste of the Wild. I was also very impressed with the ingredients and my dog food store was giving out samples so I took 2 home. They both gobbled them up like no tomorrow so I bought a bag, and most recently I bought a big bag! lol.. They really seem to like it though .. even so much that if I mix it with their old dog food they will pick out the chunks of the taste of the wild :roll: Mine both have good poops on it too which is always a plus :lol: I haven't tried the salmon flavor yet but I wil have to give that a try. I didn't know it was lower in calories than the venison/buffalo :)

:flwr:

Back