• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella hurt herself!

bellacherie

Bella was doing her usual "running around like a mad thing to avoid having a bath" and I went to pick her up, when she dove into the coffee table.

Since then she has been limping on her front leg (the one which would have come in contact with the table).

I have felt it and it feels okay.

She is slowly putting more weight on it but it's been an hour and it still looks weak, though she doesn't seem in pain.

I have called the vet and they have no appt's (it's a PH here) - should I wait till tommorow and see how she is?

This is my first dog and I dont want to overlook anything which could be serious.

I'm certainly no expert, but if she's slowly putting weight on it, I would figure that it's like a person--if its broken she most likely wouldn't be able to put weight on it.

Does she flinch or pull away when you touch it? If she doesn't, that would also be a good sign.

Does her insurance company have an advice vet that you can call? Ours does for a small charge, and even though you sometimes feel like you get some harried guy on his mobile trying to feed his kids dinner while talking to you, they can usually sort out a crisis from a "wait until morning" situation.

Hi Matte,

She doesn't mind me touching it, andfully stretches it out when she is on her back, but tries not to put a lot of weight on it while walking.

She has been sleeping for the past 4 hours (since it happened) so I'm hoping the more sleep she gets the faster it will heal. She doesn't seem in pain.

I will see how she is in the morning. Thanks for your support :eek:

If she doesn't cry out when you handle it and she is gradually putting more weight on it, it is probably just bruised. I'd probably just observe over the next 24 hours & then re-evaluate the situation after that time.

Thanks for the advice!

Bella just woke up and started putting more weight on it. She even climbed on her box (she learnt that this week).

She seems fine now :eek:

Gosh these puppies can scare you!

:( NEWSFLASH :(

Bella got shoved by a closing door on the same shoulder!!! She yelped for ages so I took her straight to the vet. She is on mild anti-inflamatories. Poor little tyke. He said is was muscle/tissue damage.

Poor Bella - you might want to confine her to a room where she cannot jump on/off furniture or climb stairs for a few days - perhaps the kitchen with baby gates in the doorway. This will give her leg a rest so it can heal more quickly. Hope she feels better soon.:flwr:

Back