• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Whistle training....

merlinsmum

I have been training Oakley to come back to the whistle ( I bought one of those from Pets at Home like Emma)

He has been doing sooooooooo well until today.

He decided to get underneath the gate which goes from the lodge we walk on to the field with the sheep in it:eek::mad:

Having found the dummest sheep he decided to start chasing it around trying to make it play whilst I am running,whistling like mad and shouting him (hoping the farmer wouldn't shoot him)

Fortunately, one of the people ( who we know) who's house backs onto the field manage to corner him and catch him.

The sheep seemed to be no worse for wear - trotting back to the rest of the flock. And also apparantley the farmer doesn't live nearby - THANK GOD.

So now, its back on the extendy lead and we have to find somewhere else to go if I am to let him off as he knows he can get under the gate.:(

oh how I wish he was more like Merlin, my little obedient well mannered boy.

:badgrin:sorry i shouldnt laugh but having met Oakley I can just imagine him doing that with Merlin standing there as good as gold.
It sounds just like my 2, Heidi will do anything you ask of her but Chloe is stubborn as they come if she gets an idea to chase a bird or squirrel etc she;s off. I now know why Oakley & Chloe got on so well

Merlin standing there as good as gold.

He was as well - he came straight back when I called him - put him on his lead and off we ran! Merlin is such a good boy - thats why I wanted another one - do you think I could send Oakley back? :luv: as if! little bugger that he is!

I hear you - I have the same with my crew, Amber and Hannah are both as good as gold, while Piper and Ivy are my naughty children LOL They know how to mind, but it's all a matter of if they want to or not LOL

Good on you re the whistle training. My boys are great at coming to the whistle too.

Be super careful around farmers and their stock. Many years ago in a different place our neighbour shot & killed one of my Boxers (2 year old) & blew away 1/2 of the upper jaw of another. She was only 9 months old when it happened. We had good fencing in place & our dogs slept inside the house, or were placed in a lockable run if we had to go out for the day.

On this morning we let the dogs out for a pee, but we didn't know that a big fat wombat had dug a huge tunnel under the fence. In just 15 minutes 2 of our dogs got out, visited this really nasty neighbour and the rest is history :( It happened about 15 years ago, but I have never gotten over it.

Be so careful. I would never wish anybody to know such heartbreak.

Last edited:
Back