• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal gland problems in a puppy :(

bellacherie

Hi all,

Bella went and had her second needle last week and everything went well.

I mentioned to the vet that she had been scooting since her last visit (when she had a tummy bug and runny poo).

He expressed her anal gland and said that they were infected. He said that I should learn to do it myself and showed me how.

It's been only a week since that and already she is scooting again.

Is there any food I can give her to help her out? I am already giving her beans and carrots and unprocessed bran. The poo's do seem reasonably firm.

I also read that they can have these problems from food allergies.
I woulndn't know where to start as she has been on royal canin all her life.

Is there anything else I can do? (calling vet tommorow morning to get his advice)

they will scoot for a bit after they have had the glands expressed.

I think they scoot more as puppies as everything is still "maturing".

Is she constantly scooting?

did he say infected or impacted ?

if infected she should have had antibitics ?
i would also never suggest you empty them unless your 100% sure you know what your doing

One of mine is just has hers removed not a pleasent operation I would take her back and get the vet to take a look if your worried

He said infected. He said to me "do you know what that means?" and I said "another course of anti-biotics?" to which he replied "no, you will have to learn how to do this yourself".

I will call again tommorow and hopefully he will just check them next time she attends puppy preschool.

She doesn't scoot constantly, usually just before/after she excretes.

I put a glove on an felt around her bottom. The actual hole was raised (I think that's normal???) but nothing else felt firm around it.

He said infected. He said to me "do you know what that means?" and I said "another course of anti-biotics?" to which he replied "no, you will have to learn how to do this yourself".

Sorry bellacherie, I'd be asking to see a different vet - one that didn't expect you to do their job!

I agree to see another vet maybe. I know how to empty the anal gland but choose not do it for two reasons.
1) A lot of damage can be caused by doing it wrong or too hard, I believe they can actually rupture (sp?) and 2) When I have tried to do it in the past I never get out anywhere near what the vet does so I'm obviously not doing it right or hard enough anyway.

Back